Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of appetite

Loss of appetite

Initially it was the anxiety that made me not eat but I am thinking that the Sertraline is stopping me from eating so much. It's weird because my stomach gurgles but my mind doesn't seem to say "OK you're hungry, time to eat". It seems that I have to eat when I feel my tummy rumble.

I've been on the meds for just over 2 weeks.

Re: Loss of appetite

Anxiety wants to rid your body of all waste matter to make you lighter to run away when the 'fight or flight' response kicks in, its a natural process, clever even.

Eat for the sake of eating, try bulky soups that are easily swallowed with the liquid in them.

All the best.

William Butler Yeats

MY STORY: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

I know how you feel - like you don't know what its like to be genuinely hungry anymore. If I ask myself if I want to eat, my body sort of says "yeah, suppose so" rather than "yes, cheeseburger would be good right now, get it in there".

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Hopefully the Sertraline is helping . And the appetite can flucuate, I've found, when we are anxious/depressed. That said, it is useful to have a few of those sachets which you mix with water that contain essential minerals and vitamins. That way, if you are conscious of the fact you aren't eating properly at least you will know you are getting your vitamins.

Good luck, Vince

Yes I feel the same, and I used to LOVE food, always thinking about what nice thing I could eat. Now I just don't fancy anything. I can eat when I make myself but just don't really enjoy it or feel hungry. Then my tummy rumbles and I realise I'd better eat something.

In the past I've found Complan are good when I've really struggled to eat. The chocolate ones are quite nice.

My appetite has come back somewhat but it's not a big as it used to be which I am not too bothered about as I was a little over weight. I went out for some lunch on Saturday and ordered a burger and chips and really struggled to eat when before I would have woofed it down!

Jay, I am exactly the same as you. My stomach rumbles like mad and I have hunger pangs, but just don't want anything to eat. There is liteally nothing that could tempt me. Your appetite will come back gradually, though. You need to eat small and often. Try a slice of toast in the morning, a yoghurt or a bowl of cereal. It will come back, it just takes some coaxing.

I guess it makes sense if you think about it. Eating food (especially carbs) releases serotonin into the system, which is why when we're low or anxious we crave food and get that temporary relief when we are actually eating.

When on SSRI meds our ability to use the serotonin we are producing normally is restored to a healthy level, so we don't feel we need that "kick" that we get from wolfing down a cheeseburger and chips.

Having said that, the meds are by no means perfect, and this system probably overcompensates, as our brains are being flooded with extra serotonin that we're not used to. This process is bound to cause a few hiccups, and 100% perfect balance is not there either off the meds, or on them.

i upped my dose of this to 100mg on sunday....
    How are you taking the tablet???? are you taking it after food????,
    this is what my mental health worker has told me to do....line your tummy with something like a banana and then take the tablet,you wont feel so sick then.hope it helps

Been on Sertraline (50mg) for 2 weeks now, depression gone but anxiety still there at a low level, doctors on Thurs, wondering if they'll increase the dose to 100mg which I'm open to.
    My appetite is coming back now, lost about half a stone which was great but I have a feeling I'll put it all back on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information