Thread: Scared of dying, where to go for help when needed

Scared of dying, where to go for help when needed

Hi, I stumbled across this page this morning when I was looking for help with a health related panic attack. I live on my own and often get the feeling that I am going to die if I'm not seen by a doctor immediately. I often imagine having to phone an ambulance, what to do if I faint... This morning I woke up didn't feel too anxious but I suddenly felt like I had a temperature, my body kept going hot and cold. Last night I was up with symptoms of urine infection. But I have had this checked so many times recently and they find no infection. I also take medication and often worry that the medication will finish me off too. I resisted phoning 111 or the doctors as I have found they don't deal with anxiety. I phoned the samiritans (no answer) then no panic (didn't feel better). The problem is panic. Now, I realise I wasn't in a medical emergency, though I was convinced at the time! I'm looking for ways to reduce this anxiety when it happens, I want to get to the stage where I believe that it is just panic and I'm not dying. I have tried CBT, mindfulness, psychotherapy, councilling and still battling with this anxiety. I take beta blockers for social situations and have never taken antidepressants. I'm starting to get to the point where I feel like antidepressants are my only option. I would be grateful to hear what helps others when they feel this anxious as for me I only want to take regular meds as a last resort.

Thank you, apologies for the rambling.

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Massive worrier and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Scared of dying, where to go for help when needed

Im new here also. Ive been on venflaxin for two years and a boat load of cbt therapy. My panic attacks are back. Yday was horrendous as I have no one and a recent breakup. Ive called out ambulance so many times and Yday had to breathe and think this is just panic xx

Hi, sorry to hear you're on your own and suffering. I haven't tried it myself, but have you tried EMDR? At least one person here has found it helpful for health anxiety. I can't post links as I'm too new, but googling for EMDR health anxiety has a NMP post from 2012 where user swgrl09 was saying it's actually making a difference to them.

Hi, thanks for replying. I have heard of emdr, it sounds really interesting and would be keen to give it a go. I'v just been referred back into the MH service so will ask them if they offer it.

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
    Im new here also. Ive been on venflaxin for two years and a boat load of cbt therapy. My panic attacks are back. Yday was horrendous as I have no one and a recent breakup. Ive called out ambulance so many times and Yday had to breathe and think this is just panic xx
    Hi bibbs, sorry to hear your struggling :( It's hard isn't it. Mine comes out of nowhere sometimes after a period of feeling ok. Its hard to think at the time that it will get better, but it will.

Thread Information