Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety = Urge to Urinate?

Arrow Anxiety = Urge to Urinate?

Hi all,

My first post here, and with that i would like to say that this site has been very informative and i have read quite a bit about anxiety.

Although I feel a little reluctant about posting what I am about to as it would appear that there are many of you that are suffering a lot worse than what i am, never the less i need help to try and understand my anxiety, and hopefully try and control it.

Where to start, well, the urge to urinate is where it starts and where it ends with me. Its the bane of my life. Ive read a lot on here about it and although I already knew that it was almost certainly anxiety that causes it, I am now even more sure from what I have read here.

I had the tests done for infections but they where negative. If it where an infection I would get pains while trying to pass water and I would have problems sleeping if it where an infection. So that has been ruled out.

I know that its anxiety that causes this and need to know how to stop it.

For me it started around 9 years ago, since then its been off and on. The trigger when it first started was the fact that I was about to change my career into IT, I had to go on a course for 2 weeks. About half way through the 2 week course the urge to urinate dissapeared. Why? I have no idea.

Since then it would be other things that would trigger it. One time it was the death of my grandfather and another a change of job.

Most recently (December) was when me and my family went on holiday to lapland. Now i thought i would get anxiety (or the urge to urinate) from thinking about the journey there, but it didnt occur, which was a real surprise to me. Great I thought, I can enjoy myself for once. However the second day into the holiday it hit me, and it hit me bad, I had the constant urge to urinate, I would get relief for about 10 mins after going to the toilet and then it would come back again. It really ruined the holiday for me and my family as when this hits me it makes me feel depressed as I cant stop trying to work out why it happens. It stops me from wanting to do anything, i feel as though I cant go anywhere. Going on holiday should be a fun time, so why did it hit me then? I was enjoying myself in the snow and watching my 4 year old son having a great time. So why did it have to come back during the holiday?

About a year ago I went to see my doctor as i was feelign very low, almost suicidal, I was put on a course of citalopram. The side effects for the first week or so where unpleasant but the doctor assured me they would pass and that they would help me, which they did, they seemed to take the edge off things. After a few months of taking them I felt a lot better, so I stopped taking them instantly, I know I shouldnt have done that but i didnt seem to have a problem coming off them.

I have since returned to the doctors as I have been feeling low again because of this anxiety (urinating issue). Again they have given me citalopram, but I have not started to take them as all they do is surpress the depression and anxiety. They are not treating the cause, but the symptom.

I want to find a way of beating this anxiety without the need for medication. I very rarely take medicine, I much prefer natural remidies such as homeopathy and I have used bach flower remidies in the past. But self prescribing these can be quite difficult to get right.

This anxiety is like a switch, off and on, for weeks or months i could be free from it, then all of a sudden its back. Sometimes for no apparent reason, there sometimes does not appear to be a valid reason (trigger) for it to re-occur.

When I was free from it one time the thought that i had not suffered from it for a while came into my mind, and sure enough, just like a switch it was back again. Maybe i am my own wort enemy for thinking about it. But how do you stop yourself from thinking about certian things?

Another problem which i think is anxiety related is sweating, its not so bad at the moment but in the past i used to sweat a great deal from under my right arm pit, if it was both arm pits then i would put it down to just the way my body works, but as its one sided it makes me feel sure that this is also anxiety related. But this is no where near as much as a problem for me as the urge to urinate as using good anti-perspirant helps with this.

I am at a loss with this thing, its having a negative effect on my relationship with my partner, she does not really understand how i feel and i find it very hard to try and explain to her how i am feeling.

I now know that its not just me who suffers with this urge to urinate thing after finding this site. so please, if you can help me in anyway then please do.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Regards

Dor.

Re: Anxiety = Urge to Urinate?

No body want to help me?

I don't get this problem alone, but as part of my anxiety, it is particularly bad if I am travelling, or if I feel I am trapped (like in an appt or something). I also get ibs as well, which makes the urination problem worse.

I don't how yours is, but with mine I actually have to go desperately every 20 mins or so, it's not just the feeling. Also I know when it is anxiety because it is totally clear like water.

Sadly, I have so far not found a way to "cure" it, I think that will be when I manage to get a handle on my anxiety and drs have not been very helpful at all.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but please know that you're not alone.

the only thing i can say is - try to drink less? I pee all the time so can not suggest a remedy sorry.

you are definitely not alone on this. unfortunately it is a symptom of anxiety and for me the more i think about it the more i need to go.it difficult but try to focus on something else, easier said than done i know.
    good luck.

Thanks for your comments, its definately all in the mind, I find that if I am doing something that requires concentration then its not so apparent.

Ive havent been working since November as my shop is closed until mid March as we are a seasonal business. I am hoping that when we open again I can focus more on running the shop and not dwelling on the wheres and hows and why's of this issue.

Positive thinking is what needs to be done but its hard to think positive about something that makes me feel so negative.

My name is Kate and I am 24 years old.
    About 3 years ago, when I was pregnant with my daughter, I got dizzy and passed out once at the mall. Well, after that happened, my whole pregnancy I was in fear of passing out again in public and so when I would think about going out somewhere, I'd start to feel dizzy again. Along with that dizzy feeling, came the sudden urge to pee. Now, I had my daughter in September '07 and I still get dizzy, feel like I am going to puke, feel tired, and have urge to pee. Recently, I went into the ER for what I felt was a bladder infection (I've never had one before). The doctor told me my tests were leaning towards a UTI and they gave me meds. And this happened the day after my husband deployed to Iraq. It's been a month since I got treated for my UTI but still have the on again off again urge to pee. And it seems to be, if I am cleaning the house or busy doing something, that urge subsides. I just went in for a PAP test and find out the results of some STD tests (I was told I had an STD that the doc said I got from my husband some time) this week. I have been stressing about that and I feel like those UTI symptoms are coming back. Am I going crazy? This is driving me nuts. I am sick of feeling like this. I have never had depression or anything before but the anxiety started during my pregnancy and has yet to go away. Now that my husband is gone, I am in California and my family is in Wisconsin, I am feeling helpless raising my daughter alone and I worry a lot.

Hi

I have read your post and can say mine is exactly the same, although i have mild panic attacks sometimes with the thought of travelling or going out to somewhere incase there are no toilets! Sometimes we can be going on a journey that might only be 20 mins away and as soo as i get into the car i start thinking to myself, what if i need to go toilet then it all starts and i'm constantly thinking i need to go, my palms start to sweat and i have pulpatations.
    NOW the way i have started to deal with it is, when i start thinking it i tell my self its just a thought and feeling i still get all the same symtoms but i let them happen. I know the feeling is really scary but I just tell myself whats the worse thats going to happen! Wet myself, then i really would have a problem to go the doctors about! And as daft as it sounds i carry my babies nappy it the car and in my bag, that way you have a security blanket so if the worse was to happen, it wouldn't be so embarrasing. But the worse wont happen its just a thought and feeling that occurs. Also i tend to push myself, instead of not doing things or constntly going the loo when i get this feeling i make myself carry on and bare those thoughts and feelings and then after 5-10 mins it passes. I really believe its about re-training the way your mind thinks and not to give into these feelings. I do still get this happen to me but it doesn't bother me as much as i am mentally tell myself the above and it really helps, don't let your anxiety take over your life. This is the only way i have found works and i will keep on with it until the feelings vanish.

I really hope this helps, as i know what effects it has on life and its one of the most scariest things i've ever had to cope with. Good Luck and stay possitive.

Hi,

I get this a lot. I seem to get it real bad when Im trying to sleep at night...ever ten minutes having to go for a pee. Its not very nice but it is a symptom of anxiety as I told me gp my experience and she confirmed that it was an anxiety problem. All I can suggest is try and do something else to take your mind off it. Not easy I know but it sometimes work for me.

i have gone through some periods of time where i had the same stuff with the urination. It was like literally anything i took in i p****d out 10-20 minutes later...it even lasted weeks at a time....

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information