Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teenage depression

Teenage depression

Yesterday, my 15 year old son took the day off school and went walking complete with back pack - ready to leave home (I think) Fortunately, he did come back as we were out looking for him and came across him having been looking for him for 5 hours.

He is very down and irritable and I wondered if anyone had experiences of teenage depression.

I am off to the Docs tomorrow with him, hopefully, and might get some help.

If anyone has any experiences of this, can you advise what you did.

Thank you.

Re: Teenage depression

Hello there :3
    I used to suffer these kind of things. I'm 16 years old, and my parents have this huge break up that left me, well, broken, when I was 13. I used to be very irritable and though about doing bad things. I even used to cut myself when I was down But that went away after a couple of years, with the help of my friends and family. I think that the best thing you can do is try to talk to him. Maybe all he want to do is to be heard! Ask him if he would like to talk about anything, and that he can talk to you about anything, but don't try to push things. Take it slow. Be there for him and help him through this hard time in his life And taking him to the doctor is a great thing! Getting help is really nice, I've been seeing one since last month (When my panic disorder started ._.'), and it has been great! I'm feeling really better.

I'm sure you and your son will have the strengh to overcome this! Good luck!

hi, yes i suffered my first bout of depression as a teenager. in my experience having his family around him and you actively showing you care will help him cope with how he is feeling anyway. but maybe he would find it easier to talk to someone who isnt involved - ask your doctor what services they have in your area for teenagers with mental health probs. you will prob have to be guided by him - what makes you think he is depressed? does he take an interest in things, or has he changed markedly? your doc should obvioulsy help with all of this, but teenagers dont like to open up, or maybe even admit or accept they arent feeling okay? take care, keep talking, emma x

sorry natalie, didnt say in last post that im glad you are feeling better x

I found 15 one of the hardest ages, I was pretty depressed, it's the middle of the teenage years and exam pressure and wondering what to do with your life is starting to build up.

As he was skipping school, do you think he might be having problems at school? Do you know how he gets on with others there, whether he has many friends and whether he might be experiencing bullying?

Taking him to the doctor sounds like a good idea. Tell him that you're here for him whenever he wants to talk to you, whatever he wants to talk about, but don't sit him down and try to force him to talk, he'll tell you things when he's ready. Are there any other relatives he is close to who might be able to talk to him?

Oh, thank you Emma! I'm felling reeealy better, but there's still a lot of work to do, so let's not give up

Thank you ALL for the replies.

I was very lucky as a teenager, it was a completely good experience and the world is sooo diferent now for young people, so many pressures.

It is the first, and hopefully the last time he has bunked off school but it was a cry for help.

He has struggled with school in some ways but I think he is in denial that he wont be at school soon, when it all finishes.

He says it is a bit daunting facing the future, although I think sometimes he says what he thinks we want to hear.

Thank you again and I will keep supporting him.

Cheers all.

I always feel so sorry for teenagers who suffer from anxiety and depression. Being a teenager is hard enough. It's all about peer pressure, exams, being in with the in-crowd. It must be so difficult, although we all came through it. Your son is fortunate in that he has a caring mum who is ready to help him through this. He can't ask for more.
    And the sooner he gets help the better it will be for him. Just having your support will be a weight off his shoulder. You've definitely got the right attitude.
    Myra

everyone's different.
    um well teenagers have soooo much pressure! school, exams, fitting in, being cool, girlfriends, boyfriends, sex........
    teens aren't experienced enough so they learn by making mistakes!
    also teen are not very good yet at dealing with their emotions so are very prone to depression!
    i got depressed as a teenager.
    your a great mum for actually noticing! a lot of parents don't see the warning signs.
    did he say why or where he was going?
    if he won't talk to you maybe their is a family friend or another adult he may be more open with.

look out for self harm too.
    what type of music does he listen to?
    a lot of teens listen to rock or depressing music because they can connect with it.
    style of clothing, is he still taking care of his appearance ect...

check his room for drug signs too like rolling papers, lighters, small plastic bags....

yeah i think that teenage depression on some level is normal - i mean being sad about leaving school and worrying is normal - like others, my worries turned into depression because i was overly harsh on myself - that is why depression will come about - if you start beating yourself up for feeling low or not being able to cope with the fake pressures of growing up - i mean trying to look like you are cool and that you are doing everything that your peers will make you feel they are doing -when in reality they are qwaking in their boots too!!!!!

teenage years are hard, but finding things he is good at and doing things he likes and keeping his self-esteem high will stop him from beating himself up that he is finding it hard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information