Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nausea and diarrhea every morning

nausea and diarrhea every morning

Hi,

I have had IBS for years, but relatively manageable, but for the last three months or so I have had bad, explosive diarrhea every single morning within about 15min or waking up and feel very nauseous. I have between 1-3 bowl movements within that hour and then tend to be absolutely fine (or relatively fine) for the rest of the day. It seems to make no difference what or when I eat the night before, and it is before I eat breakfast so cant be related to that.

Any ideas? Is it just the anxiety? My anxiety is a lot better, and most of the symptoms I have in the morning are actually just this diarrhea (i.e. the anxious feeling is more about needing to rush to the loo than anything else!)

It just makes every morning so unpleasant that it is making me depressed. Any suggestions, solutions, tips or anything gratefully received.

Re: nausea and diarrhea every morning

Hi Anxiousjomo.

Its the nature of IBS , I have it too. However , although you feel relatively Ok in the mornings you say you have anxiety about the diarrhea. Doesnīt matter what you are anxious about, you are anxious and this goes straight to our stomachs and bowels. I am just the same.
    It can be distressing when you have this, but I doubt very much that there's anything sinister going on with you. My best solution is just to accept whats going on, and know it will pass eventually.
    Maybe you could mention it to your GP and put your mind at rest.
    Hope you feel better soon

Thanks - yeah I have discussed with my GP and she thinks there may be something off with my cortisol levels, so has referred me to get it tested.

Basically I wake between 5-6.30am every day with a rush of anxiety and upset stomach etc and then after a few hours all is relatively fine. She thinks the fact that it is so tied to a particular time of day is interesting, so we will do some tests and see.

It is just so exhausting and depressing to have every day start in such an unpleasant way.

Hi again anxiousjomo.

I think its just what Dr Claire Weekes describes as " The morning feeling" and would recommend you have a look at some of her work on the subject of nervous suffering and how to overcome it. Donīt be put off by the rather old fashioned style of writing, in my opinion she is the bees knees when it comes to helping folk like us.

I know its horrible to start every day in that way, but accepting it and knowing it will pass helps more than you know.

thanks Chick - will check out her stuff. And, yeah, i have got into a cycle of obsessing over my feelings/anxiety which just makes everything a million times worse. I used to be quite good at having an "it is what it is" mindset. It is just the last six months of trying SSRIs and having horrific side-effects has just knocked me completely off track....

Hi Jomo.

6 months of side effects sounds really grim, no wonder you are knocked off balance. Maybe a change of meds would suit you better.

I am off everything now - and have been for about 4 weeks or so. My doctor decided SSRIs and me no longer got on....I guess I should give myself a break and recognise that it is going to take a while for my body to settle down! I should also remember that it is normal to have blips like today and not to obsess over them, or beat myself up about it.

You sound like me! I have the exact same symptoms as you. When I wake around 6am, the anxiety hits me like a bolt in the stomach and I get horrible griping pains and if I put my hand on my tummy, I can feel my intestines going rock solid. I go 2-3 times and then are (mostly) fine for the rest of the day.
    I have found taking 1/2 of an Imodium instant tablet when I wake is enough to slow it down slightly. If you have any insight, please update!

No insights I am afraid - still happens every morning. Makes no difference what I ate the night before (though it may be a bit worse if I have had something that really triggered my IBS).

I am trying not to worry about it - but I do wonder if I am getting enough nutrients etc from my food if it is not being digested properly! I don't seem to be loosing weight or anything, so I am sure it is fine.

I have an appointment with an endocrinologist on 21 November to get my cortisol levels tested. I know that the high cortisol we all have in the morning can trigger these kind of symptoms, so it may well be a combination of IBS and that morning cortisol burst that is doing it.

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky in a way though - at least we get the whole horrible thing out of the way before leaving the house in the morning, so don't have to run to a toilet later on...

Good luck and hope you feel a bit better soon!

Thanks!
    That's very true. It's very annoying when I wake up for a wee around 5, feel ok and try to fall back asleep...then BAM, intensines think it's wake up time, start cramping and then I have to go back to the toilet.
    I wonder if there is a natural way to lower cortisol levels? I'm going to start up colofac again (I always give up before giving it a good try) and reduce the Imodium as I'm wondering if that's causing stomach cramps. I think worrying makes it so much worse; I think because I'm so worried about it, my subconscious is making it worse.
    Good luck finding something that helps you x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information