Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I may have MS (or something neurological)

I may have MS (or something neurological)

It started a couple of weeks ago with a strange sensation in one of my toes. Kind of like a numbness, but also as if something was touching it when it wasn't. That seems to have spread to other toes and now I'm feeling it in my hands.

Was seen in A&E today and passed a neuro exam but I've got to go to my GP and get an appointment with a neurologist. Suffice to say I'm fretting.

Re: I may have MS (or something neurological)

Did the A&E doctor say that you may have MS or is this what you think based on your Mum's symptoms? How is your stomach/abdomen? Did you mention your fears when you saw the doctor for your blood test results? I think you should be very careful as to what you read on the HA board because you are going through a challenging spell and there is so much stuff on here which is really unhelpful when you are trying to keep your head above the HA waters..
    Last edited by pulisa; 25-11-17 at 21:06.

Stomach has settled down a fair bit. Still a bit "backed up", but the discomfort has faded away.

The A&E doctor said that neurological conditions are hard to diagnose and that all he could do was a standard neuro exam. He said he couldn't rule anything out and that something is clearly going on, but realistically it's not within his capabilities to say.

It's not an exact match for my mum's symptoms by any means, but it's a very very strange and scary feeling. My dad thinks anxiety is the issue, but I really don't think that this time. Yes, I am anxious, but these sensations are way too weird and unusual.

Use your tools SE. I know the dragon is breathing fire down your neck but it's not something until they say it's something. You know that....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

So it will be up to your GP as to whether he/she wants to refer you or not to a neurologist. The A&E doctor was non-committal and all he did was pass the buck back to your GP. Are you confident in your GP's judgement? I take it you wouldn't be happy for these symptoms to be attributed to anxiety?

The problem is I don't recognise these symptoms from past episodes of anxiety.

I won't be seeing my GP as he's away at the minute. But the A&E doctor has written a letter recommending I get referred to a neurologist.

Hi SE. I know how scary this must be. Over the past year, I've had a whole raft of symptoms that ultimately appear to be attributable to anxiety. And many of these have been like nerulogoical symptoms. Pins and needles in all four limbs, dizziness, tight / stiff leg muscles, and lastly bladder issues are all potential mimickers of MS. I'd never had any of these until late July, but since then have had all of them at some point (most of them have now settled down, but one or two remain to some extent).

I was sufficiently freaked out that I saw a neurologist privately. It wouldn't be fair to name him, bu the was someone on the MS society's list of top MS neuros, so he appears to know his stuff. He did the exam, and was very confident that it wasn't MS. He explained to me that it would actually be very unusual (not unheard of, but unusual) to have a normal neurological exam and still have MS. Effectively, the disturbances caused by MS would generally "show up" in an abnormal exam before they presented as symptoms, meaning that if you have symptoms but a clear exam, the symptoms are usually something else.. He offered an MRI to be sure which I will probably take, but his sound advice helped no end.

Then there's also the thread on this very board explaining how anxiety can create neuro like symptoms, often after many years of struggling with anxiety more generally. You're doing the right thing by getting everything properly checked out, but from what you've told us so far, the most likely outcome by far is that your Dad is proven right.

Hope you can keep your chin up. I know first hand that where you are is not much fun, so hopefully you can come through this without too much stress

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I'm sorry to read all this, Server. You're certainly a logical and intelligent person, and I believe you when you say these symptoms feel different or new. However, so many conditions like CFS, fibromyalgia, not to mention DP/DR, PD, anxiety and depression, can cause MS-type symptoms.

Use the forum for support and motivation because I think you need it right now. You have done the right thing in seeking medical attention and a referral to see a neurologist. You deserve to find out the cause of this and I wish you all the best.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    The problem is I don't recognise these symptoms from past episodes of anxiety.
    My anxiety presented the same exact way for 15 years, then randomly it seemed, within the past couple of years I developed new anxiety symptoms. Including some that are very similar to what you described, such as tingling and numbness in my extremities that seemed to spread. I believe I’ve also experienced the phantom “it feels like something is touching me when nothing is actually touching me” symptom that you experienced. It could definitely still be a product of your anxiety.

I have CFS which has some similarities with MS. I can't speak for MS, but if you had CFS, you would have a lot more extreme symptoms. CFS is a debilitating condition with symptoms that stop people from 'normal functioning'. It doesn't start with small symptoms like odd sensations - it's clearly a big illness from the start, though it takes a long time to rule out other causes/conditions.

If I just had numbness in fingers and toes like you do, I'd be so grateful. I am very much disabled; my symptoms are much more extreme and fit the totality of the CFS description.

Considering that you have a history of anxiety, it is most likely an anxiety symptom. Anxiety can continue to manifest itself in new ways. It's very bothersome. But please do find some gratitude in not having all the other symptoms that go with MS.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information