Thread: Update on sister...

Update on sister...

Well, I have an update on my sister. I mentioned in an earlier thread that she was diagnosed with hepatitis, but they didn't know which type she had.

It turns out that she has mono, and the hepatitis is caused by the mono. So, she has hepatitis, but the mono is what's causing it - not A, B, or C. My question is, how long will something like this last, and should there be a concern about hepatitis even if it's not caused by A, B, or C? I was somewhat relieved when I heard that it was the mono causing the hepatitis, but I still worry about it because it's still hepatitis no matter which way you look at it.

Re: Update on sister...

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou93 View Post
    Well, I have an update on my sister. I mentioned in an earlier thread that she was diagnosed with hepatitis, but they didn't know which type she had.

It turns out that she has mono, and the hepatitis is caused by the mono. So, she has hepatitis, but the mono is what's causing it - not A, B, or C. My question is, how long will something like this last, and should there be a concern about hepatitis even if it's not caused by A, B, or C? I was somewhat relieved when I heard that it was the mono causing the hepatitis, but I still worry about it because it's still hepatitis no matter which way you look at it.
    While I'm sorry she's hurting, that's actually positive news. Your question is best addressed by a medical professional.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hepatitis just means inflammation of the liver and can be caused by many things, in your sisters case they say its the mono... Having hepatitis and having hepatitis a b or c is not the same thing. I know its sort of confusing and so its best to discuss these things with your sisters doctor...
    Last edited by Careful1; 17-01-18 at 19:05.

Yes - hepatitis is simply inflammation, the word is made up of hepa and titus basically meaning liver inflammation. You can get hepatoxicity too from somthing such as a paracetamol overdose.
    Hepatitis is usually caused by a virus such and has 5 strains: A, B, C, D and E. It sounds like your sisters was caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. Resolution of the virus will normally result in the hepatitis resolving.

Source: almost doctor, turned software developer :-)

Thank you all for responding...and yes it is mono caused by EBV. I just wanted to give yet another update. Her body is healing extremely well, as her liver enzymes are already starting to level off (as of January 18), and she looks a million times better than she did before. The only that didn't change, and actually increased was her alkaline phosphate levels. But, our doctor said that she's doing very well, and should be completely back to normal in no time.

Again, I can't thank you all enough for putting up with my crazy worries about my sister.

So glad to hear your sister is improving, this is wonderful news and thank you for coming back to update us.

Not to take away from the fact that your sister does actually have something going on, but hepatitis isn't that uncommon and is very treatable, especially the type your sister has. Glad to hear she's already feeling better.

Thread Information