Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Body tremors at night just before falling asleep

Strange Body tremors at night just before falling asleep

Hey guys, I havent posted in a while as ive felt like my symptoms have calmed down a bit, ive had anxiety for almost a year now, and its drived me crazy. Ive started to get used to the symptoms, but in recent weeks due to possibly 'new' symptom im petrified of going to sleep as i think i might die.

Im a bad sleeper anyway, always have been, but just wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms before? Just as im tryin to relax and about to fall asleep, i get this imense 'jolt', 'tremor' or even 'fit' (cant explain it) but only for a few seconds, in that time it feels like my heart stops and i gasp for breathe, also i feel numb in different parts of body - but only for a couple of seconds. It causes me to jolt out of bed scared beyond belief. This only happens at night and is getting more and more frequent.

I think of it as a fit as i feel like im shaking or moving fast, but im totally aware of it. It doesnt happen when i am asleep, just as im tryin to fall asleep.
    Has anyone else experiecend this? Please reply, its freaking me out :(
    Im a 21 year old female in my final year of university - so scared if its anything more serious especially at my age :(
    Many thanks xxx

Re: Strange Body tremors at night just before falling asleep

Hi Leanne, I have had this in the past and as you describe just as you are about to drop off it happens. Really wierd. I dont think its a fit but I dont know what causes it. Please dont worry as I get it too so you are not the only one. Jo.xx

i had this for a while. sometimes i felt it in my head, sometimes my chest..verrrry strange..it will pass though.

Thanks for the reassurance jo, it scares me to death! Appriciate your reply xxx

I don't know if this is same but if I am over tired especially if I have been rushing around or if I drink too much caffeine then I get what feels like a electric shock that shoots from my middle up to my head in a huge jolt and I feel as if I have fallen down a huge deep hole which leaves me with a racing heart and cold sweat. I will do it every few minutes as I relax for sleep and eventually after about a hour of this I will fall asleep.

I have had this on and off for many years and assume its an adrenalin rush for whatever reason.

Thank you Yes that could explain it, i always have problems switching off, sometimes i wont sleep at all and be up all nite and the next day. Ive always had sleeping problems, and having this added stress makes sleeping worse. Thank you for your reply ...and thank you neverrelaxed too xx

Hi, don't worry I've been experiencing this symptom very recently and it's just before I'm about to drift off to sleep when I'm not even feeling that anxious. To me it feels like I am shaking quite violently or vibrating but I can't see it, I can only feel it I'm not actually physically moving. I wrote a post too coz I was really worried but people said that you spend the day so tense and anxious that when you're finally relaxing and going to sleep your body is just releasing it all, it's not a bad thing hun although it feels very scary. I'm a 25 year old female so not much older. xxxx

Hi, I've just joined the forum as I've been trying to find others who possibly might be having tremors just prior to falling asleep, my symptoms are the same as those listed and so worried was I, I sought medical advice, I was fitted with a 24 hour heart monitor which was fitted with an invent button to be pressed should tremors occurred, I did have tremors and I did press the event button several times, on receiving the test results I was shocked to learn I had incurred multiple sinus rhythm events with multiple tremors from my heart, I've now been fitted with a 7 day cardiac event monitor for further investigation, I ignored my tremors for almost a year fearing something was wrong! It's not worth suffering in silence and or relying on comforting words within the forum, go and see your doctor tremors before falling asleep are not normal
    I'm a 54 year old male who's been fit all my life!!!!

The shaking when you are falling asleep is NORMAL.
    You can have all sorts of odd sensations while drifting off, shaking, hearing a bang, hearing someone say your name, feeling like you are falling, jerking awake etc..
    It can be scary but it is harmless, more likely to happen if your very very tired or extra stressed out

Agree with mishel here that in the majority of cases strange sensations when falling asleep are weird but nothing to be alarmed about, all sorts of names for them from exploding head syndrome to hypnic jerks etc but all normal.

What previous poster feels is not necessarily what others have been feeling and like ectopic beats that we feel anything happening with your heart will give you physical sensations - so please everyone don't all panic about strange falling asleep feelings as its almost 100% certain its normal and not your heart!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information