Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anxiety cause a pain near the ribs?

Can anxiety cause a pain near the ribs?

Hello all,

I have been doing well of late (proud of myself, which I have not been in years).
    I have had this symptom before, which the doctor was not concerned but it was about 6 months ago.

Since last Monday, a pain has appeared, where my left rib is, which does not stop me doing my everyday things but I know it's there.

The other night I forgot about it (which is my aim for the year, to try and ignore symptoms) but when I went to pick up my son, I then felt it.
    It does not hurt when I breath in / out but obviously with anxiety it's just starting to cause me a little concern.

I must admit, since I have had this pain, I have been concentrating on it, which I know from experience, anxiety can make things worst.

I noticed a few threads on this forum about people having a pain near their ribs and I was wondering if there is a link to anxiety from this pain near the ribs.

Red

I have a rib problem where it feels more "tender" if i press between my ribs.

Sarah

I get this quite a lot and with me it's trapped wind as my anxiety causes me to gulp in air rather than breathing properly.

Jo

hiya,
    i get this alot but my pain tends to be more on the right side. i can go days without any discomfort then its there again for a week or so.
    at first i thought it was down to my anxiety and acid reflux, and at one point when it was bad i was convinced it was breast cancer!!!!
    but thinking back my actual rib pain started a good year before my anxiety did. it started just after the birth of my son (which was traumatic).

i have been informed that it could be chostrochondritis (spelling).

maybe you should give it a few days, just to see if it settles.
    all the best to u

penny x

I had this pain for months. It was just under my left breast and affected my side as well - felt like it was deep inside me. I went to A&E with it cos it really scared me and was told it was muscular skeletal due to anxiety. I was given Kapake painkillers. It does rear its ugly head every now and then so now I just take paracetamol or co-codamol. It doesn't scare me any more but I must admit the painkillers don't do much good, just makes me feel better knowing I've taken somthing I suppose. I think when it is anxiety related its hard to treat.

Les

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I had this pain for months. It was just under my left breast and affected my side as well - felt like it was deep inside me. I went to A&E with it cos it really scared me and was told it was muscular skeletal due to anxiety. I was given Kapake painkillers. It does rear its ugly head every now and then so now I just take paracetamol or co-codamol. It doesn't scare me any more but I must admit the painkillers don't do much good, just makes me feel better knowing I've taken somthing I suppose. I think when it is anxiety related its hard to treat.

Les

<div align="right">Originally posted by Ma Larkin - 26 January 2007 : 13:03:41</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Well, it's been 7 days today and I'm starting to think it could be anxiety but saying that, on Sunday when I got out of bed it hurt, which got my alarm bells ringing again.

I'm not sure what I'm thinking but I guess I'm worried I have a growth there, my wife finds it funny when I say it but that is what's bugging me.

Red

Re: Can anxiety cause a pain near the ribs?

Hey Red, I have had severe rib pain the last 2 weeks, and I do gets very stressed over nothing but I had a stomach ulcer and assumed it was what was upsetting my ribs, well it wasn't! it was 100% my stress, my ribs hurt to the touch or if I bent the wrong way but did not affect my breathing or anything else, you I just want to say as hard as it is to do, try and ignore it and it will subside

I've been suffering with this for a couple of mths. I keeping thinking i must have banged it x

Hey Red, I got a bit rib problem myself a month ago. Tender right rib and a type of pain that I also felt in my back so I worried myself quite a lot thinking that it was liver related or lungs.

It was just excessive gas and stress Now I feel fine.

You say you are having this for a long time. That means it can't be something very serious and if it was serious it would be a persistent pain which would make you wake up from your sleep. Anxiety makes it worse, since stomach pain and acid/gas occurs during anxiety.

Try to focus on other thing, you will see that it will go away.
    Hope you feel well soon

I too have rib pain. Mine goes all the way around my body though. What I mean by this is if you start at the L side alongside my breast it is tender across the top of my chest (under collarbone), around the R side. It also effects my should blades. Even laying on my side at night to sleep hurts. I have read online that anxiety can cause rib pain due to being tense. Of course.... there was a boat load of bad stuff too relating to the rib pain.
    I hate getting these panic attacks over health issues. The panic attacks are the worst! I have had two recently (haven't had any others since I was a teenager 20+ yrs ago). The feeling of doom and/or dread in the pit of my stomach is awful and almost impossible to ignore. I pace, breath heavy, feel like I am going to pass out, etc. Nothing I would ever wish on anyone. :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information