Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Throat gurgling/clicking

Re: Throat gurgling/clicking

hi emma,

the clicking sensation that you are feeling is most definitly due to muscular tension caused by stress and anxiety. i used to get this clicking in my neck/throat every time i swallowed, it would also happen when i moved my neck. i thought it was something sinister and serious and i think worrying over it made the problem worse.

when i started to reasurre my self that it was probably due to tension it did help me break the anxiety cycle. and after about 6 months the throat/neck problems went away. what you need to do is to think positive and keep reminding your self that its all due to stress and dont google any health anxietys because alot of scary stuff does come up that adds to ones worry.

hope that helps hun.
    do take care

Hi,
    I have been 'suffering' for some weeks with simular symptoms. I also find i have fluid type stuff in the throat (night time mainly) which crackles and makes me want to cough or clear the throat. Worrid is the permanent state i'm in. Docs given antibiotics, not worked yet. Any one out there with advice.

Does anyone else choke? I don't know how often, maybe every 3-7 days I'll choke with a dry mouth sometimes it's loud sometimes not but it's like an electrical impulse, an involuntary spasm and I've grown so tense about it happening that I avoid people or if they are around I anticipate the worst which makes it more likely to happen. It's like any relationship, friendship, casual conversation is held to ransom by the fear of choking which jeapordizes everything and humilates me.

I sometimes can. not. stop. thinking about swallowing! It's like, what is there to think about? it's a subconscious reflex and I know that but I the tension just winds up and the only was to relieve it is to swallow.

Hi all, I found this site through 'drum roll please' googling my symptoms!!!!! I'm kinda glad I did now though as I'm feeling slightly more reassured after reading through the threads.
    I recently damaged my coccyx. Not sure how at all but been in pain for 2 weeks. I have been lying on my back whilst sleeping, to try and ease the pain. Two nights ago I was half asleep, and shifted into a more comfortable position. When I did this it felt like something in my neck shifted too, and since then whenever I swallow saliva I get this clicking feeling at the top of my neck (almost underneath the chin, where the jaw meets the neck at the front) I only get this if I'm facing forwards. If i turn my head to either side the clicking doesn't happen when I swallow. I don't get this sensation when I eat or drink, these both seem to ease it. I have noticed that I don't seem to be producing as much saliva as I did and my mouth and throat become dry very quickly!

Is this all stress/anxiety related, or could it be that I've genuinely done some damage to my throat when I moved!?!?! It's begining to really irritate me and make me panic about what long term damage it could cause.

Smile Re: Throat gurgling/clicking

I can quite understand the throat issues. I have occasional clicking when swallowing (on the right side) also jaw/tmj tightness and SCM/neck pain and tension.

Had ENT endoscope, Barium Swallow, MRI, and CT w/wo contrast of neck...all normal (just some arthritis and some bulging disks in a few spots on the cervical spine, but on the left side)

I believe mine is anxiety, but like most of us with health anxiety issues, believing doctors (or even worse, putting our faith in Dr. Google instead) leads us to magnify our symptoms beyond all belief.

I thank you all for your support, and you can count on my meditations and prayers on your behalf. Please remember me in yours.

i swallow so much i produce excessive amounts of saliva also when i swallow i get this gulping sound it feels like my adams apple is sore, when i lay down to go to sleep i struggle to fall asleep because i constantly swallow because of all the anxiety i gulp all day i hate this swallowing disorder it drives me crazy its been going on for about 5months now and i dont feel much better. im taking sertraline (zoloft) risperidone, and diazepam...

Howdy.

Can you tell if your gurlgling/pain is worse? A lot of those medications, especially if put together, can really dry you out and increase the urge to swallow all the time and paradoxically produce excessive saliva at times. How is our water/fluid intake?
    "Does one run away from a charging bear because one is affraid, or is one affraid because one is running from a charging bear? Our tendency, though counter intuitive, is to feel because we act and not the other way around. Therefore, try in all things to act calmly and surround oneself with all that is of peace, and in time one feels that peace flowing through you like a calming brook, streaming from an endless life-giving spring of true mindfulness."
    AbbaDionysius

When I swallow it is like air is coming back up and my throat gurgles.

Anybody still getting this?

I get this when i'm anxious, have had it for about a week now and its really worrying which makes you more anxious. I also feel as if food is sticking in throat and can't swallow :(

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information