Thread: Feeling of doom

Unhappy Feeling of doom

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum so please be patient with me. I don't know where else to turn to. Through out my life I've had anxiety on and off, and it's usually correct. Other people tell me that it's just in my head but I feel like I'm really really connected to what's going on and is about to happen. I don't mean that I can predict what will happen or have visions but I get this overwhelming feeling of dread and terror and it will later turn out that something did happen.

Well, I've got that feeling again and I can't explain it away. My life seems to be going fairly well now but this feeling is driving me insane. I just can't shake the feeling like something really really bad is going to happen, to the point where I'm becoming a little obsessive and annoying with checking that my o/h got to and from work safely (we don't live together). He had a crash a few years back and that's why I'm so afraid of it happening again. Every morning when I hear sirens I freak out. He works in a facility where he can't have his phone on during the day, so I only get texts from him when he nips off to the toilet or is on lunch. So if I don't get a reply within a few hours, my stomach has worked it's way up into my throat with worry.

The thing is I can't think of anything else that could be going horribly wrong but car crashes are very common, so perhaps that's why I've fixated on it.

It's not just that though. I just know something isn't right, somewhere, with someone. I'll be going about my day and then I'm hit with overwhelming sadness and worry and I don't know why.

I used to get really terrible sleep paralysis and night terrors but hadn't had them as often the last two years because my life has been better but I've started getting them again, which is actually probably what triggered all this. I would only get them when something wasn't sitting right.

I know this is so vague but it's really just an overwhelming feeling of something going wrong and I have no clue what. My O/H has been trying to reassure me that everything is okay and I'm just panicked but I can't shake it

Re: Feeling of doom

Hi Ellederflower,

The feeling of impending doom but you don't know what is one of the classic signs of Generalised Anxiety. As you say, you then focus on a car accident, but it could be anything that might go wrong (and plenty of things can go wrong).

If you've had anxiety in the past and it has self-corrected, then the same may happen here. Are you taking any medication for anxiety? There are several medications that can reduce anxiety.

Hi Ellderflower

As pp said above this is a symptom of GAD. I too get this and it's an awful feeling. For me it's classically in the mornings I feel it or on weekends. I don't know why it's mainly at these times. I think Christmas is making it worse for me.
    Like you its a horrible stomach churning feeling that something bad is going to happen. Alot of unfortunate of things have come my way which is probably why I feel like this so often, according to my mother.
    It's not something we can just shake off, I wish!. Have you spoke to anyone else about this besides your partner?

I used to get this too, and it's what really kicked off my health anxiety years ago.

It's possible you're making a connection where there isn't one. Bad things happen, and they happen frequently. If you get a feeling of "doom" and are then expecting something bad to come of it, any bad thing that may have happened naturally you may think you foresaw because of your bad feeling.

Try to relax a little bit. Have you talked to anyone about your feelings?
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thread Information