Thread: Mirtazapine - Is 3 weeks enough to see a difference?

Mirtazapine - Is 3 weeks enough to see a difference?

Hi,

Started on Mirtazapine 3 weeks ago (15mg). Been back to my GP's today for a "review" and on telling him that I've not noticed any difference anxiety-wise so far, he said that it seems Mirtazapine isn't they way forward for me then and that I could stop taking them.

I'm not sure that 3 weeks is really long enough to tell if I will benefit though and wonder what others who have tried this drug thought?

Cheers!
    Last edited by GreenSky; 13-06-12 at 01:08.

Re: Mirtazapine - Is 3 weeks enough to see a difference?

Hi GreenSky, no, 3 weeks is not long enough to judge whether they are working or not. Like most ADs, you need to give it 5 to 6 weeks at least.

Also 30mg/45mg is the usual therapeutic dose - if you don't get any relief by the 5th week, ask the GP about increasing dose. Most GPs will suggest an increase rather than tell you to come off them, I'm surprised yours didn't.
    Best of luck!

Belle x

Belle is right, 3 weeks doesn't seem long although saying that, I've heard that Mirtazapine is the quickest working anti D out there.

When I started taking it my symptoms were relieved pretty quickly (around 3 weeks for me actually) but it pooped out really quickly (stopped working) so I'm not taking it anymore.

I take 45mg Mirtzapine and have been on it for about t years now.

Think it took longer that 3 weeks before I saw an improvement in my anxiety symptoms. Perhaps you should also consider asking your GP to increase your dose.

BobbyDog

Hello

I agree 3 weeks is not long enough at all...and even then your dose may need adjusting to enable you to benefit.

Very surprised at your GP's decision.

Having said all that I found that it didnt help me much with anxiety but really cured the depression.

I hope you find the right solution.

Jo.x

I'd up the dose before I gave up.

You can go up to 45 mg per day. If this doesn't work after six weeks or so, then it's probably not for you.

I've been on it 4 months and am tapering off at the mo as it's done zilch for my anxiety, in fact I am worse now on it than I was before but it worked wonders for someone I know who took it for anxiety too, which is why I asked if I could give it a go (I get panic attacks starting up on Citalopram type pills) but apart from the first week when it really took all my anxiety away and it made me sleep great, it then just pooped out on me too ):

Thread Information