Thread: Worried by negative thoughts

Exclamation Worried by negative thoughts

I'm a bit worried about negative thoughts I fear may be OCD. I went on another site and never got much help felt I was crazy for asking.

I'm getting mad thoughts like dying, going mad, harming others, rash impulse thoughts like maybe I'll suddenly open the car door when it's moving (more rash ones that are similar)..even though it's not true but when I have these thoughts along with depersonalization I fear I'm going mad suddenly?

..So I've ignored them over the weeks but they have basically become more regular and I've sat fearing them some nights but I don't want it to stop me recovering from anxiety. If you ask me what worries me I guess the obvious answer is what if I act out on these thoughts?

Anybody give any advice? ..Somebody on this other site said ocd thoughts can make you go paranoid and go mad basically?
    Last edited by phil06; 14-01-11 at 23:24.

Re: Worried by negative thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I'm a bit worried about negative thoughts I fear may be OCD. I went on another site and never got much help felt I was crazy for asking.

I'm getting mad thoughts like dying, going mad, harming others, rash impulse thoughts like maybe I'll suddenly open the car door when it's moving (more rash ones that are similar)..even though it's not true but when I have these thoughts along with depersonalization I fear I'm going mad suddenly?

..So I've ignored them over the weeks but they have basically become more regular and I've sat fearing them some nights but I don't want it to stop me recovering from anxiety. If you ask me what worries me I guess the obvious answer is what if I act out on these thoughts?

Anybody give any advice? ..Somebody on this other site said ocd thoughts can make you go paranoid and go mad basically?

Hi Phil06,

sorry your feeling like this, I suffer from ocd, though my thoughts dont get like that through ocd. though I find it a battle, I work through it. though I do not know best way to advice you, I hope you can get through this.

Yvonne

I'm a bit worried about negative thoughts I fear may be OCD.
    Hi Phil. I wouldn't get caught up with labels. Everyone has negative thoughts. It's how you respond to them that determines what sort of treatment needs doing.

Yes it can make you fear you are going mad.

..So I've ignored them over the weeks but they have basically become more regular
    The word ignore can be difficult for a reader to understand what is meant. People use it to mean 2 different things. If by ignore you mean you are supressing the thoughts, then that is bad. You'll end up with a rebound effect. If by ignore you mean that you are letting them come and go and not engaging in them in a non-therapuetic way, then that is good.

When a person looks to make a change in the right direction, the brain is resistant. It kind of chucks a wobbly and throws the kitchen sink and all at you. You'll end up getting more thoughts. But you will be spending less time on each thought, and over time, this will cause there to be less in the long run. Here is a passage from http://www.ocdonline.com/Rethinkingtheunthinkable.php explaining :

"It is given that a patient’s spike will increase when he begins using ERP. The human is resistant to change. Commonly a person who, before treatment, would spoke many times per day and then ruminate incessantly for the duration of the day, will, after behavior therapy, spike much more frequently, but ruminate much less. The goal of this therapy is not to make the thought go away or to achieve anxiety relief. Although this statement sounds peculiar, it should be repeated often and emphasized during the initial stages of therapy. Rather, the goal of this therapy is to provide specific guidelines for effectively managing this condition so that the brain can naturally readjust to a non-reactive state. "

and I've sat fearing them some nights but I don't want it to stop me recovering from anxiety. If you ask me what worries me I guess the obvious answer is what if I act out on these thoughts?
    Yep, that's what people fear all right.

Somebody on this other site said ocd thoughts can make you go paranoid and go mad basically?
    A person who behaves in an obsessive and compulsive manner would in x amount of time of me or someone trying to reassure them that u won't go mad or paranoid would just respond with "but what if......?" That's why it's counterproductive to offer reassurance. You may get some short term relief. But in x amount of time, the fear will come back bigger and stronger.
    Last edited by Captain Caveman; 15-01-11 at 04:29.

i worry about the exact same things! i worry that i have schitzophrenia and one day i mite hurt someone and not realise it, i also constantly worry that im going to die. You're not alone xx

Thread Information