Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Scared cause I've had too many cat scans and X-rays don't wanna get cancer

Re: Scared cause I've had too many cat scans and X-rays don't wanna get cancer

I know there's nothing I can do about it.
    And thanks for writing to me.

I just can't handle the way I am feeling because I am so scared of dying and gettin cancer from
    These stupid cat scans.

I just cant be happy knowin cancer can come any second. ;((((

I just can't help myself from worrying and I just don't know what to do :(
    Ive barely slept and I can't sleep I'm worried scared. Loss of appetite I'm
    So worry I have no idea how to comprehend this.

Thanks daisy for your kind words .. My mom had to come over today to take care of my two year old because of my recent depression over this to .. I am trying so hard to be positive .. And what you say makes allot of sense ....I am trying my hardest and will continue to fight so this doesn't get the best of me and worried girl you have to too!! You have to be strong ..(( hugs)) googling has pretty much destroyed me please don't do that .. You are not going to find the answers you seek u just have to trust in god or whatever or whoever you believe in that everything will be ok . I know easier said then done but you have too !

It's just hard because I'm only 24 and I feel like I've ruined my whole life.

It's hard to not worry.

I feel like I'm gonna die soon. I dont know what to do.

Ughhhhh I hate doctors so much!!!!!!

I too have had this worry, but was heartened when hearing this on a bbc Horizon programme some months ago.

In April 1986 Chernobyl a nuclear plant station blew up. Over the following mths there were dire warnings about the number of deaths from the massive radiation exposure.

20 years on a number of scientists argue there is no credible evidence that anyh of these predictions are coming true. Environmental group Greenpeace said figures would be near 100,000. Another Torch predicted an extra 30,000-60,000 cancer deaths across Europe.

According to an international organisation of scientific bodies, including a number of UN agencies deaths directly attributable to radiation from Chernobyl currently only stands at 56 - less than weekly death toll on Britain's roads.

They do not expect an epidemic of leukemia and they dont expect epidemic of solid cancers.

In the past scientists have simply guessed that if hiigh level radiation was dangerous than lower levels would be hazardous. They made an assumption.

Chernobyl, where most people received doses below 200 millisieverts, has been the first large scale study to test whether this assumption is true. The evidence from Chernobyl suggests it is not.

Low doses of radiation are a very poor carcinogen - says Prof Brooks who spent 30 years studying link between radiation and cancer. "If you talk to anybody and you say the word radiation you get a fear response. That fear response has caused people to do things that are scientifically unfounded".

Beneficial Effects

Other studies have come to even more startling conclusions, and have found that far from the effect of low level radiation being carcinogenic, it appears to boost those genes that protect us from cancer. There is a growing body of opinion that it is time to rethink the risk scale of radiation exposure.

I really hope this gives some comfort. It put things into perspective for me. x
    Last edited by RosieXXX; 20-03-12 at 21:04. Reason: typed in haste - typing errors

Rosie ~ thank you so much for taking the time to post that information ~ It is very enlightening have you had cat scans in the past too? My husband is a hairstylist .. Actually we have our own shop here in Ohio and he has been asking all of his customers who are nurses .. doctors .. Really close friends about it and most of them have had quite a few in their lifetime and knock on wood are all still doing ok . One client who I am very close too said 30 years ago she had a head ct and also had some lung problems .. They actually did chest cat scans every few months on her for a few years until her condition was stable .. Like I said she is 63 today that was also when ct 's just came out and dosing was much higher then it is now ... President Jimmy carter lost his dad brother & sister to pancreatic cancer and as a preventive measure had 2 ct's every year for a few years then started getting MRI 's and he is in his 80's .. My brother said he worked on a nuclear ship for awhile to and was exposed to allot . So I think our bodies are amazing machines... It brings me much comfort in knowing this and what country girl has said to . My brother is a chemist at penn state and has tried to console my fears ...he explained to me that the brain is one of the most radiation resistant organs we have .. Their aren't as many cells replicating there as the rest of our bodies .. Which made me feel better ... And worried .. Our client who had all of those chest ct's should bring you some comfort I hope you have to live life and not be afraid you have to stay positive .. I still have my ups and downs .. Especially this morning but I hopped on my elliptical and burned the crap out of it . Lol..You just have to try and hope for the best ....

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Rosie your dog is so cute

Hi Ange,

I have had a few xrays and my husband has had ct scans. I really think you should take comfort from the information you have gathered. I know it is difficult when you are trying to rid your mind of these worrying thoughts, which do become obsessive. It is true we have to learn to enjoy each day as it comes, and not to live in fearful anticipation of things which are unlikely to happen. Do stay away from google because it causes So much anxiety, and can be totally misleading. I never allow myself to google because I know where it will lead, and once you start it seems impossible to stop, because you think that one more google will bring some kind of comfort - it never does. x

People have been having X-Rays for years, there is no firm evidence that having a normal amount increases any risk of cancer. Obviously you dont want to expose yourself to it daily over and over, which is why the operators protect themselves in hospitals when they take them.

The same with cat scans, the amount of radiation really isnt that big. I'm sure there are loads of conspiracy theories and ill informed scaremongering on the web from people with nothing scientific to back up their theories, as there is for most things if you look for it !

We are all exposed to raditation every day of our lives, from all sorts of different sources. Extreme exposure can cause cancer ( as in exposure from nuclear accidents and testing ) but not normal amounts used medically.

You may get cancer, but then any of us could, the fact is the medical profession dont really know why some people get it and some dont ( some smokers get lung cancer, some who have smoked for 60 odd years dont ).

What you need to do is go and see a doctor about your health anxiety, this is the problem, and your worries over cancer aren't rational. Look at getting some treatment for the HA as it is taking over your life, and needn't do

As I said in a previous post my son and daughter in law both work in the nuclear industry and very specific jobs high up thats all I can say BUT they did tell me that different radiation causes different cancers as the radiation is absorbed in different parts of the body. So for example chenobyl gave off specific radiative elements so they would then know what cancers to look out for in the coming years - this is why the horizon programme could say that the expected rates of cancer have not materialised, just in case anyone was not believing them!

Worried - having 2 CT scans will barely have any effect on your risk of cancer, do you smoke and/or drink, do you use hair dyes or use alot of chemical cleaning products, if you do then these put you at much more risk than your Ct scans. See where I am going here. We all put ourselves at risk of something just living in the modern world.

The problem you have is not with your risk of cancer but with the mental effect of your compulsive obsessive thoughts. Have you talked to your Dr about the state you are in??

We understand, we all get like you are now at times but the state you are in is not good for you. Please speak to a Dr.

So do you think that I am over reacting?

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

I've been losing sleep over this and i feel confused .

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

I am really panicking and not knowing what to think about this situation

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

I'm
    Sorry I don't wanna be annoying to anyone I am just really scared if I am gonna be ok

Hello worriedgirl,

It is the nature of Health Anxiety to make us feel overly concerned about various issues related to our health, and once we get locked into a worry it is very difficult to shift; I think all health anxiety sufferers can relate to the way you are feeling at the moment. This concern of yours will pass and you will be able to take a step back from it, and begin to put your concerns into perspective. Unfortunately once one issue is 'resolved' or at least put to the back of our minds another often takes over, it is a vicious cycle and extremely difficult to cope with, because our thoughts become irrational, but there are glimses of rationality during these thought processes, and it is really important to try and hold on to these thoughts and build on them. Read through the answers to your posts, and hold on to all the positive information you have been given. It is Extremely unlikely you have suffered any damage from the x-rays you have received - in fact i would say it is more likely you could be injured from crossing the road. Life is full of risks - we never know what is around the next corner and it is an absolute waste of time trying to calculate what may or may not happen. Life is also full of wonderful surprises, and we should try to live each day as it comes allowing ourselves to enjoy all it has to offer.

I do know how difficult it is to let these worries 'go', but you can begin to take control of these negative thoughts by staying away from google, which will only feed your anxiety. I am not sure if you have spoken to your doctor, if not it would be a good idea to explain how you are feeling, and perhaps have counselling, which can be very helpful. x

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information