Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norovirus

Norovirus

I have just read that our local hospital has an outbreak of norovirus. I have to take my son there tomorrow for a pre-op assessment for some surgery that he has to have in March.
    Should I cancel his appointment? Apparently it's only one ward affected but this is my worst anxiety trigger. I'm emetephobic and the thought of catching it, or of anyone in my house catching it terrifies me.

Am I letting my anxiety get in the way of taking him to a necessary appointment or is it sensible not to go??
    Last edited by Yogi; 06-01-15 at 11:57.

Re: Norovirus

I would go. If the entire hospital was affected and it was pandemonium there and literally everyone was sick then that would be a different matter, but it's confined to one ward.

Use the antibacterial gel they always remind people to use! Then wash your hands at home.

The way I see it, your son needs this appointment and you need to take steps to conquer your fear, this is a small but significant way of doing it. It's like you sticking two fingers up at the emetephobia.

Also, you or your son could catch that anywhere you go in reality so try not to worry

Thank you... That makes a lot of sense and I will look at it as a step towards conquering this fear!! Go me haha!

Yay! Hope it goes ok, good luck

Managed to go to hospital appointment and didn't freak out.
    Got slightly uncomfortable when a cleaner with trolley full of rubbish got in the lift with us but otherwise ok!
    Feeling proud of myself

Well done Yogi..

I had to attend an appointment for my Thyroid problem on Christmas Eve at a Hospital that had an outbreak of C-Diff.

I was in the middle of a blip at the time and like you wasn't sure whether to attend, I did go and was glad I did as I got answers to why I was having the blip, the C-Diff didn't even enter my head after that!!!!!

Ah that's great that you went too Jimsmrs
    I really just want to get to a point where these things don't bother me on a daily basis!
    Seems like I have been sent a couple of 'tests' this week as you said in the other thread!!

I think these 'tests' we get through make us a bit more able to cope.

Yesterday I had to get petrol from the Asda, but it's unmanned, self service, never used it before. Petrol gauge was on the red and had to weigh up what would panic me more, running out of petrol on the A1 Edinburgh road or taking a deep breath and get the petrol. I got the petrol and it wasn't bad at all!!!!!

Yay! Well done you. Running out of petrol would be so much worse!! That would panic anyone I think!!

Well done Yogi!!! I know that was tough and you've taken a step forward so be proud honey!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information