Thread: Norovirus...

Unhappy Norovirus...

Does anyone else here fear norovirus? It's not as life or death (usually) as my other fears, but I recently realized how much it scares me.

I think it has to do with the fact that I haven't gotten sick with vomiting in such a long, long time. My husband suddenly got very sick on Monday night, vomiting and having diarrhea at the same time. This happened twice (within a 3 hour period), and then it was over. The next day he felt better, but still a bit tired. That was 6 days ago now (about 144 hours) -- since he last threw up. He is adamant that it was food poisoning as he ate a chicken sandwich from a questionable restaurant, and felt bad after, but I'm skeptical. We did go to the doctor and the doctor guessed norovirus (no testing done) as it is going around our town right now.

I'm four months pregnant, so I wanted to look online (NEVER should have) how I could catch it from him, and how likely it was. Apparently it's EXTREMELY contagious. The first night he was throwing up I stood right beside him in the bathroom, which I have read is a way to pick it up (breathing in and ingesting those particles). It's been, like I said, about 144 hours since then. They say the incubation period is between 24-48 hours, so I don't think I caught it from (that time).

I have maintained a distance from him. I cleaned up the bathroom with a bleach and water solution near the toilet where he had been vomiting (including the toilet). We sleep separately. Any time I touch him or touch anything he's touched, I wash my hands. I wash my hands before I touch my face or eat every time. I clean the toilet after he's had a bowel movement (apparently the virus can shed in the stool for up to 2 weeks). I've cleaned all of his clothing (and all towels and rugs in the bathroom when he vomited) in bleach to kill the virus.

I'm miserable. Every second I'm panicking about nausea, and being scared that I've caught it. My concern is that I'll get it and get dehydration and it could be a risk to me or the baby's life. I'm so terrified. I've made myself miserable. There's still another week and a day until the 2 week period is up. My husband doesn't like that I'm treating him like he's tainted, but I'm just so terrified of catching it. I want out of my own head. I feel like this is such a huge setback because I had been doing so well with my anxiety lately.

Medicine isn't an option right now, but I am planning to see a therapist this week. I'm also working on the online CBT modules for health anxiety, but I am struggling so much just because this is such a real reality since I'm living with him and could catch it from him. It also feels so different from my other health anxiety concerns, but I always feel like "this time is different" so I don't know...

Anyone share experience with norovirus fears? Or just norovirus in general? Am I being overboard?

Re: Norovirus...

Yes, my entire life. It's miserable.

I've learned if someone in my house gets the stomach flu, if anyone else is going to get it, it will be within 48 hours.

I also clean with chlorox cleanup, it's a bleach spray. CDC says bleach kills the virus.

Thanks so much for responding Nancy.

I hope that is the case! That is what everyone (in real life) is telling me. Of course, online, though, I'm reading freak cases of how someone had stomach flu in the house and another person caught it a WEEK later, or more. Ugh... I never thought something so commonplace could get me so absolutely miserable.

I had the norovirus for the first time a week last Saturday. Vomiting from 9pm at night to 9am the next morning. It was awful! And now just vomiting. It was coming out the other end just as fast!

It was a grim night and not something I want to repeat anytime soon but it was just got one night (though the runs continued for a few days after!)

My partner was with me through it all, rubbing my back, emptying out my bucket and generally following in my wake cleaning up after me. He's fine though. He was sure he was going to get it due to his having to handle so much of my bodily fluids but he didn't.

Since you took so many steps to ensure your own safety you'll be fine. Especially as it's been a few days since your husband was ill <3

Hi - I also am petrified of v'ing and have been all my life. And norovirus more than any other kind of stomach sickness gives me the most fear. For what it's worth it sounds like your husband had food poisoning since it was very short lasting. Noro usually lasts a bit longer (and I gotta give you a big pat on the back for standing by him when he was so sick. I don't think I could have done that.)

Here's a great web site with lots of info on how to prevent the stomach bug/norovirus. It's by a biochemist who has done lots of research on this.

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home

There's just been a big outbreak in the town where I live. They've closed all the schools early for Christmas. Just another reason to avoid kids, tbh

I've had it 3 times. My wife didn't catch it off me once. It's unpleasant, tiring, and grotty. You'd know if you had it by now.

I'm sure that's what my wife had two weeks ago. Sore throat, sinuses all messed up and losing it at both ends! She was a hurtin' pup for almost a week. Other than the fact that it would have sucked to get it, it's not a fear. Regardless of your fear, you did what you had to do for your husband so that's a good thing. Nancy has a good point. As with any bug that's going around, using common sense (washing your hands, clorox wipes etc.) is all you can do. I took care of my wife, used that common sense and I didn't get it As everyone is saying, you would know by now.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information