Thread: Job..stupid job!! Now what?

Job..stupid job!! Now what?

I have posted here before, but it has been 2 weeks or so b/c I have been doing better!!!YEAH!! Until now...30 steps forward 100 back. I got a TERRIBLE evualtion at work on Wed. completly out of the blue and it has all started up again. I could not sleep Wed. at all after getting it. Then Thurs. I had to meet with my boss. I took Ambien to sleep last night and feel a little better...but I am not sure I can deal with this. It hurts to swallow again, eyes are twitching, apetite is going away, and my chest hurts!! I now have to prove that I am a good teacher and I am here wondering if my anxiety over the past few months has impacted my job performance to this degree. I mean the kids love me and my scores are good....how could I have misssed this?? They said things about me that are complete lies. Thanks for reading guys!

Re: Job..stupid job!! Now what?

Hi

I don't know too much about evaluations in the USA but In the UK when you receive an evaluation it is something like this:

At an evaluation if something comes completely out of the blue to you it is an indication that there has been a major failing on the part of your line manager. In other words if they had concerns and did not manage them prior to the evaluation then they have a bit of a cheek bringing it out of the blue.

If it is something that you admit yourself requires improvement and both parties agree that something has to be done then your employer has to provide the resources and support in order to help facility this improvement. They cannot just demand improvements without reasonable justifications and support.

All employers must provide a safe and supportive work environment. They cannot say or promote the idea of "getting your act together or your out" without again providing support and clear indications of where imporovement is required. If this is not provided then it could be conceived as constructive dismissal and would be difficult to defend.

There should never be any major surprises at an evaluation. If there are, it is a sure sign of failings within an organisation and poor management at a senior level.

If they set a timetable for improvement it must be fair and reasonable. If you think it is not, then tell them.

Evaluations are a two way process. If you believe they are wrong then let them know and tell them where they are going wrong.
    Last edited by Utility; 09-05-09 at 18:11.

I'm a teacher too and I've had one or two bad evaluations in the past as well. It's not really anything to worry about so long as your scores are good, you fit with the rest of the staff and, most importantly, they know that you're commited and passionate about the job. As the guy above said, it's just to help make YOU a better teacher so ultimately, even a bad evaluation is positive in that it will improve your teaching technique more than a positive one. I'd bet my left testicle that your next evaluation goes really well.

thanks for your replies. I am very angry about this though b/c the things that were written were lies. While I'll admit that I have had anxiety that has occupied me....I have NEVER:

humuliated a child
    not follow special education laws (my degree is in special ed)

I mean they really just lied guys. I have written proof that everything they said was bogus and they have no proof as to how they came up with these scores. I spent 3 hours at the school today making copies to "prove" my case. This is silly and a waste of my time because while we all have areas to grow on....I am a good teacher...even with anxiey...and I deserve a fair evulation that targets real areas of weakness that allow me to grow, not bogus ones.
    I am just not sure if I should fight this or walk away? I am not sure if emotionally I am up for the fight...had to take sleeping pills for 2 nights now to sleep. What would you all do...stay and fight until the end or just walk and find a new place to work?

HI,

It sounds like you made an enemy. I don't know what options are available to you. When I had bullies at work I stayed to fight. I can't say if it was right or wrong. It made me depressed, but I was too angry to give up. It caused me a lot of hurt, but I would have hated myself if I had caved into someone so cruel & pathetic.

I kept feeling like a failure about that job. It took years to get my strength & confidence back. But I finally realized I didn't fail them, they failed me!

I know I would speak up because I don't think they should get away with it. If you can get another good replacement job & it doesn't make you take a demotion or anything, that would be a better option for your health & wellbeing. Definitely fight the allegation if you leave or not. Don't agree to lies, or sign them without saying your side of the story on the books. You don't need that in your records.

I can't say what to do. Both options are good and bad. Why not take some annual leave in your own time & see what other jobs are available. Knowing your options can only be a good thing. Think about if you are willing to put up with that rubbish at work? If you can do better for yourself? The strength comes from the anger they cause. Strength is in you! It could all pass over, or there could be a weird misunderstanding. It's good you have the proof.

If what they are saying is lies, then there is no need to feel upset. The truth always comes out in the end.

It's good you know you have options. I felt trapped when I went through it. I was bullied for over 6 years badly at school too. Then every day for 2 years at work, after having been there for 6 years from leaving school. I thought that was my lot in life. (It never is). If they have no proof, it will probably blow over. It's only a piece of paper. For me, my life is much happier now I don't work at the type of place where they choose to employ aggressive bully types. I made it clear in my resume what I wanted out of a job & didn't quit till I found it.

Sorry, that's a bit all over the place. That's life for you

Melody

Hi

Teachers usually have quite strong union representation and I would asume this is the case in the USA. Contact them and get their support and advice. If, as you say, the stuff that is written about you is not true then challenge it and get support wherever possible.

As I mentioned before, in any appraisal, if things come out the blue then it is a sure sign of poor managment by your superiors. It is a two way process - tell them they are wrong (especially if they don't have any evidence or records of poor achievement)

At the end of the day if you are a valuable member of the staff the last thing they will want is you deciding to leave.
    Last edited by Utility; 10-05-09 at 22:46.

Thanks guys for all of your advice. I am very very nervous about work tomorrow but I am only staying for a 1/2 day b/c I have a Drs appt, which I am sure is also causing some anxiety.
    I spoke with my teacher's union and will be mailing them all of my evidence tomorrow. They say I have a wonderful case and have no need to worry...yea right! Easier said than done right? I have also applied to 3 other positions, just in case, and I guess not we just wait and see. One thing is certain....my anxiety is back :( and I am not happy about that given that I had been doing so well. 3 more weeks then summer break...so this too shall pass....I hope!

Thread Information