Thread: Cancer Worries

Cancer Worries

Hi everyone.

I'm new here, this site has popped up a couple of times for me when researching my symptoms so I thought I'd make a post and see if you can offer any advice to calm me down - I feel like this is taking over my life.

Let me start by telling you that my Dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in December 2017 so I'm sure you can guess what my concerns are!

Late November/early December last year I started to experience acid reflux and the sensation of a lump in my throat. This sensation moved between my throat and the middle of my chest, it was only really felt when swallowing saliva - food and drink relieved the sensation. This was all partnered with TERRIBLE burping... Constantly burping, from wake up to bedtime - food or no food.

I left things for a few weeks as I was really busy with Christmas and helping my Dad get to all of his appointments and what not. My symptoms were not going away so I saw my doctor on January 5th. He said that his threshold for me to be tested for cancer(s) was lower than other patients due to my family history but he didn't feel I had any red flags that warranted an urgent check (regurgitation, persistent vomiting, difficulty swallowing, blood in stools etc). He packed me off with omeprazole and asked me to come back in 3 weeks time but sooner if my symptoms worsened.

It's now about 1.5 weeks since I saw the doctor and things have changed a little bit. My acid reflux was sorted immediately, I haven't had any noticeable troubles with it. The lump in throat/chest sensation remained for the first week however over the last 3 days it has mostly been gone with a brief period of the sensation yesterday afternoon for a few hours (it's normally constant).

However, now I am struggling with back pain, in between my shoulder blades. Sometimes it's just there once I start moving about in the morning, others it's triggered by eating. Today for example, I was completely fine up until lunchtime when I ate a packet of crisps and the back pain kicked in straight away. I also don't think food is getting stuck (I'd know right?!) but I'm very aware of food travelling down my esophagus, I feel like I can feel it going all the way down. Once the back pain has been 'activated' it'll hang around for a good while, it's not just like when you inhale too much mash potato and it goes down too slow (or is it just me that does that ). I also think I've been feeling fuller quicker.

The burping is still an issue but isn't as bad as it was. I've given up drinking as advised by the doctor.

As I said above, I'm really letting this problem take over my life. It's all I can think about sometimes. I am constantly Googling different combinations of symptoms to see what information is returned. The back pain one is scaring me the most, and feeling the food go down. Everything I read about these symptoms says cancer!

I'm notoriously a very calm and laid back person, most things just wash off me so these feelings are very new. My main fears aren't really for myself (although I'd really rather it wasn't the case!), I am terrified of something happening and leaving my fiance alone, the thought breaks me. And I'm terrified that if I was diagnosed with the same disease as my father and what that would do to him and his mental well being.

My final worry is having a camera down my throat. It seems inevitable that when I return to the doctors on 26th they're going to send me for one. I'm really not thrilled with the idea of it, but am also desperate for it so I know once and for all, you know? When my Dad had his, he had a very bad experience... It was rare what happened but I worry the same could happen to me. I won't go into it as I don't wish to put anyone off the procedure.

I'm sorry for the very long post, it was therapeutic in itself, getting it all down.

P.S - I'm 27...

Re: Cancer Worries

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I'm a Head and Neck cancer survivor so I have an intimate understanding of it.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, just someone who's been there, done that and what you describe matches up with what so many anxiety sufferers deal with and that's reflux/GERD. With all that's going on with your dad, it's not surprising you're dealing with this.

You're taking a PPI but often, you have to address your diet as well. Certain foods will aggravate reflux/GERD. Look into the FODMAP diet, keep a journal of everything you eat for a month and restrict or eliminate the foods that bother you.

Sending as always...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost my mam last year and had 18months of looking after her. I'm not a doctor but I really think all your symptoms could be purely down to worry. When I first joined this site it was cos of sudden panic attacks due to my body being overtired (had a bad experience where son was rushed to hospital then had 6mths of him basically keeping me awake most of the night every night). The feeling of the lump in my throat was one of the first symptoms and it properly freaked me out. I also think to compensate for that feeling, people tend to swallow more, which then in turn causes burping. The pain you're getting can also be stress and worry. When we stress we tense our shoulders. Even when we don't think we are, we are. X

Hi,

Also sorry to hear about your Dad. You are doing the right thing having an endoscopy. When I had mine it was very easy, they sprayed my throat with some numbing spray and gave me an injection which allowed me to interact but have no pain or memory of the actual procedure.

It was well worth it

I'm struggling with some throat issues currently as well, and your last paragraph really hit home with me. I just got engaged this past August, and although I am concerned about my own health, my biggest fear is leaving my fiance and our new house that we just bought.

I'm thinking that most of my issues are stemming from my health anxiety, but my thoughts keep going back to "What if I'm wrong and need to get this checked out before the cancer gets too far along?" It sounds like you are going through something similar. Best of luck, and hopefully everything clears up soon.

Hi Hop,

I know what you mean - I'm exactly the same I'm worried about what would happen to my fiancé and house if I'm diagnosed with something awful. If you have any worries why not go to your doctor for some advice? I've been worrying about cancer a lot recently, been for many tests and waiting an endoscopy but I always feel reassured after speaking to my GP - I even brought my fiancé along to my last one so that she could remind me later of everything he said

Thread Information