The internet is amazing. Having found a video on You tube i might have self diagnosed my condition! In basic terms I have had difficulty in swallowing regular sizes of solid chewed food - have done for 30 years. Pills too feel like they stick in the throat if they are a decent size.

My recent endoscopy showed up as normal. I am due to have manometry shortly (will post another detailed blog on this 24 hour monitoring procedure on my squidoo.com page) and I suspect that this may point towards my UES being "over-active". This causes the valve that allows food into the gullet to stay closed for longer. In my head i am wondering what is easier to treat - an overactive UES or one that is underactive?????
Maybe they are both as bad as each other.

I need to do some more research on the condition known as Achalasia (ak-al-asia) which until today I thought was a stand alone condtion but it is recognised as a condition under the header of Dysphagia.

The bottom line is that this may help others who have swallowing problems and was unaware of the connection with Achalasia. Will post up more info as I find it.