Thread: Acid Reflux or what?

Acid Reflux or what?

I have suffered from acid reflux for about 5 years - my GP diagnosed it, as I had a constant cough and a stinging feeling in my throat. I was put on Omeprazole and that seemed to do the trick.

A few months ago, I developed a cough (I am prone to them being asthmatic). That eventually went, but I have been left with a feeling that there is something stuck in my throat (or windpipe, hard to tell). The only other symptom is that I tend to gag/retch (normally first thing in the morning), though never bring anything up. It feels like that there is something there when I swallow or breathe through my mouth - it is hard to explain the sensation.

After putting me on Pirinase, my GP ruled out post nasal drip and then sent me for a chest X-ray which was all clear. I then had an endoscope (a ghastly experience) which showed nothing, and the test for h pylori was also negative.

So weeks on, I am none the wiser. I do tend to burp quite a bit which makes me think it is acid reflux, though I am sure that anxiety/stress are playing a role too. The only thing that seems to help are sucking sweets, but I don't want to be doing that for ever. I am going back to my GP at the end of the month but I doubt I could face what the gastro-enterologist (sp?) suggested if I wasn't better, namely pH testing and manometry. I have viewed a video of those procedures on You Tube and there is absolutely no way I could ever undergo them as an outpatient; I am not even sure I could even face them as an inpatient. They need to do those tests, though, before they can determine whether an operation is necessary.

All suggestions welcome, and apologies for being so verbose.

Ducky

Re: Acid Reflux or what?

hello i had have the same as you i cough all the time and severe sore throat i was sent for xrays and they said i have lpr silent reflux

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    hello i had have the same as you i cough all the time and severe sore throat i was sent for xrays and they said i have lpr silent reflux
    What medication are you on and is it working? If not, what do you plan on doing about it?

I have been suffering from acid reflux for about 6 years or more. Also had problems swallowing food, I had to wait several seconds between each mouthful to let the previous mouthful go down. I had a Barium 'meal' and was told that my esophagus was scarred from the acid and the rough surface meant that food could not slide down easily. I have been on Omeprazole ever since, but if I miss a day, the reflux comes back and often I throw up. I had an endoscopy which revealed I had a Hiatus hernia. I still have the occasional problems swallowing and recently I feel as if there is an obstruction in the left side of my throat. I should visit my GP about this. I also gag quite easily, even sometimes at the dentist which is embarrasing.

omg Ducky, i have exactly the same thing, i just posted about it!

I have dry retching in the morning too, it's the first thing i do when i wake up, it's horrible but i feel better after, but it happens during the day too. I only got diagnosed with acid reflux a few weeks ago but the symptoms are the same as yours.

i try to take vitamins because i'm not eating but its feels like they get stuck in my throat. I cough after eating as well.

how is it going for you now?

Hmm, I don't dry retch/vomit or anything (thank GOD, because I fear that!), but I do burp an awful lot and have the feeling like vomit/food is coming back up into the back of my throat. Weird thing is, I don't feel it coming up from my stomach, just in the back of my throat. Ugh, can't explain it! I also get heartburn sometimes and acid taste when I burp.

I have not had an endoscopy yet, but I think I will need to have one done in a few months from now (joy..).

I don't know what to suggest as I have the same issues as you. Sorry. :(

.....and a ninja.

Thread Information