Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motivation to shower/bathe/do anything

Re: Motivation to shower/bathe/do anything

Quote Originally Posted by Kuatir View Post
    If motivation didn't exist then we'd just get on with it (whatever it is).

I'm trying to forget about motivation and it is making me so much more productive. If I need to do something (like a task I don't like doing at work, for example) I've been able to stop putting it off just my telling myself that I don't believe in motivation anymore, so there is nothing stopping me for just getting on with it.

Since then my job has dropped from being stressfully busy to being comfortably busy and all because I forgot about motivation!
    This is so amazing, and one thing I discovered too when trying to do videos every day.

Motivation is a bit of a myth really, and probably doesn't actually exist...

I think motivation has just become a buzzword-one of many, these days.

I hope you feel better soon, Debs. Take things slowly and steadily and you'll get your strength back xx

Hope you're feeling better Debs. 4 days without a shower won't kill you, especially in the Winter. Take each day at a time, a virus can set anybody back. Even 'that time of the month' knocks me back as I feel really sick for the first day. You'll pick back up again I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    Hi,

I am struggling at the moment with a severe lack of motivation and zero energy. I find this time of year hard as my depression returns during the winter months and dark days. My GP writes it off as SAD, has zero interest and just says 'well, the days are starting getting longer now'.

I have been ill for the past few days with a sore throat and ear pain, so I put it down to a virus tiring me out, but now I feel a little better I feel so low and have no motivation to do anything. All I want to do is sleep or pay card games on my laptop.

I have not had a shower or washed my hair since Saturday and feel pretty disgusted with myself. It just feels like such a marathon to get up and do anything right now. When I am well mentally I have no issues with this, but when my mood dives, everything goes to hell.

I don't really know why I am posting. I guess I am just seeking some shared experiences of this maybe or thoughts. xx
    I get this way when I have severe depression. Sometimes the best I can manage is to brush my teeth. At least do that, for the sake of your dental health.
    Other than that, going without bathing for several days or even a week is unlikely to do you lasting harm.
    But if this lack of motivation persists, you should discuss antidepressants with your doctor.
    Best wishes!

Thank you SO MUCH EVERYONE for your very kind and supportive and helpful replies.

I am so sorry I have not answered before now. I have been on a real low lately and am still trying to tackle this fatigue and low motivation. My mind isn't too sharp and I literally forgot to come back to NMP after posting.

So, so sorry.

All your replies have helped greatly... it just helps to know I am not alone with this. I think this is depression, to be honest. I'm always the same when it creeps back again. I have been trying to get busy but find it so hard most days.

I am on meds, and have been for a long time now. Most of the time I am pretty ok and manage, but the winter months I struggle with the depression. I am trying to see it as a glitch that will work itself out.

Thank you so much again. xxx

Hi Debs ,

Try not to think of it as a permanent state of mind.
    It's been a gloomy winter and I've got to say that it has affected me too.
    Make use of the depression by using as relaxation.
    Put a CD on, read a book, do some yoga or meditation.
    Look through old photos. Give yourself a foot massage.
    Basically do what you feel like.
    If you want to lay on the bed, then lay on the bed.
    If feel like doing nothing, then it is ok.
    It will pass in time and maybe your body needs you to do this.
    Don't put a time on it.
    The strange thing is that you will wake up one morning and feel different.
    I've been there so many times myself. x

Everyone's replies have already been so great, loved reading this thread. Just wanted to say I totally relate to not even being 'motivated' ( I like the idea of not believing motivation exists anymore either!) to shower. When I'm depressed I can't even change clothes.

But it's absolutely true that doing the smallest thing helps. I will spend all day looking at screens but my mood stays low. If I do even the smallest thing like clean something, or a short trip or play with my dog outside, I come back inside feeling refreshed and the screen time is a way to relax and reward myself, not a depressing reminder of doing nothing.

But it's fine to have a day to yourself watching movies and playing games, too. I reject this idea that we should feel lazy for that.

And carnation is absolutely right: you can wake up and feel different. That helped my depression a lot. It's easy to fall into complete despair that nothing will ever change but it can and will. What feels like a huge problem today can seem less so tomorrow. I've experienced this so often. I think the state of depression itself just causes negative thinking and depletion.

You're definitely not alone with this
    Last edited by Ditapage; 05-02-17 at 00:44.
    Do it afraid. All fear is but the notion that God's love ends. "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy." Psalm 94:19

Just seen this thread can totally relate to this, it's even got to the point re my teeth so need to change that I think depression does play a big part in it, also it's not just the winter periods either I can feel like this wether there is 6' of snow or its a lovely sunny warm day so to me it's not a SAD thing. Debs take one day at a time, and do what feels right for you XX |Cheers

Thank you.xx

Debs... just want to say I've been there. After my 1st heart attack I pretty much holed up in my place and didn't do much of anything. I did go to the doctor, get meds and started therapy.

What really saved me was a friend of mine Patrick. Patrick saw where I was at mentally and having overcome similar issues in his life, he pretty much forced me to get going. He called me one day to talk and before we hung up, he said "Ok... I'll be there tomorrow morning at 7am. Be ready!" Of course I protested but sure enough, 7am he was there. We went for a power walk (me begrudgingly). He did this with me 5 days a week, M-F for a couple of months rain or shine. All the while I was taking my meds and going to therapy. Those things in combination help life the fog off of me.

Perhaps you have a "Patrick" in your life that could help?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information