Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Lump in Throat

I think my fear is that I will end up heaving Meg, with the risk of that causing me to vomit. I know that just because we heave doesn't mean we are going to vomit, especially when the stomach isn't trying to reject something. It's just the emetaphobia making it feel like theirs more at stake.

I have definitely made massive progress since this all began but it would nice to be able to forget about it altogether. I am starting CBT therapy soon for the emetaphobia, I'm not sure if this will help or not.

Most days I have periods of globus hystericus is it? The painful lump in the throat feeling which makes the top of my back and ache (shoulders too).

Also due to having this hyper sensitivity with my throat, I think I'm going to find dentist appontments terrifying now, I did anyway but this is just going to make it all the more worse...

Mark

I have confidence if it is proper CBT that it will adress this Mark and I agree you have made good progress recently.

You could be proactive about the presumed dentist thing and prove yourself wrong !

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Right now I'm getting worried. I'm paranoid of lymph nodes (see original post) and today my throat clicks when I swollow. The adam's apple goes up into the soft pallate and clicks. Please someone tell me this can happen with anxiety!!! :( The back of my throat also feels dry or swollen or something. No pain just an uncomfortable gagging thing.

I've also noticed that when I do a certain facial expression (right side of mouth downwards - like you do when observe someone hurting themselves or something), my neck muscles on that side go into crazy spasm mode. What on earth is this? :(

Hey SFA,

Relax! I reckon you are so fixated on the throat thing that you are constantly swallowing, one, to relieve yourself of the gagging sensation and two, to see if the condition is still there. I do it all the time! And, the more I do, the drier my throat gets, the drier my throat gets, the harder I swallow, then the clicking starts and then I get myself nicely wound up and all the muscles go rock solid, usually resulting in a very unpleasant headache!! Does this sound familiar at all?

To relieve it, I drink some water, have a mint to produce more saliva and then get very busy doing something and now, within a few minutes, the worst of it passes. I think the trick is to be just conscious of it enough to ensure you're not tensing your jaw and mouth but at the same time, not dwelling on it and perpetuating the vicious circle. Easy eh? NOT! But distraction really does help...give it a go and see what happens!

Take care,

Sue

Thanks for the reply mom22. I took a valium earlier and my throat is much better. Still feels a bit sore but no clicking.

I've recently (last 3 or 4 days) found that when I swallow, my ears pop. I braved google with ear, pop, swallow and TMJ and found this :

http://www.sagewoodwellness.com/Doc0009.htm

Facinating. I can pretty much tick most of the questions on that page as 'yes'. How can TMJ cause dizzyness, fatigue and fingers going numb? Most of my supposed 'brain tumor' symptoms can be linked with TMJ - all that's left really is feelings of unreality and my weak leg (and I did have some major surgery on the groin in that side a couple of months ago).

Pain in Jaw,cheek bones and around eyes
    Another little question

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi there,

Its a horrible feeling and can be very distressing. I suffer from a lot of anxiety and get this feeling now and then which is only relieved by eating. However, lately I have been atrributing it to eating brown bread etc and since avoiding this the lump/tight feeling isnt there. I have been for tests for it and they have found nothing. I have also been to a speech therapist who helps many sufferers with this.

I would advise you to check with your Dr but only to put your mind at ease and then if it is so severe asked to be referred to a speech therapist.

Hope this helps.

OMG I have to say thankyou thankyou thankyou to this post!
    I have the exact same problem, there's a lump in my neck to the left above my adams apple and I can move it around and it feels like it pops. And I have the tightness in the throat. But now I've read this post I feel so much better so thankyou!

Yes its so reassuring isnt it when you have the same thing. I have this problem at the moment and my problem changes daily or sometimes hourly lol!

It ranges from a tingling, unpleasant sensation up the front of the outside of my throat,a need to keep swallowing, a need to try and clear my throat and a pressure in my throat like its being pushed.

I find it amazing that these symptoms arise when I havent really ever thought of them before but they are all symtoms of this horrible thing.

I always read this lump in the throat thing.. Mine isnt really the same as being described but maybe its simliar? When i swallow sometimes. especially with my head tilted downward, I feel a clicking or popping sound. I can hear it internally.. Like bones are clicking or rubbing. Its not painful or anything. It usually doesnt bother me. Is this anxiety related or just a bone clicking. I dont think its related to my anxiety

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information