Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counselling for Fear of Dying

Counselling for Fear of Dying

Has anyone ever had counselling for Fear of Death?

I'm having a phone call with my GP on Thursday to look into counselling.
    I've been on Citalopram 20mg for almost two years, but I've been suffering from HA pretty bad since the end of last year.

It's gotten to the point that I'm convinced I'm going to die young.

When I was younger, I didn't care if I died young, I was depressed but undiagnosed. I didn't really care much about anything, I didn't trust anyone so I never dated. I was convinced I'd go by the time I'm 27.

I'm 23 next week, and I turned my life around, I started dating someone from work, graduated university, and got a job in my field of study. I actually have an interview tomorrow for a new job.

However, when I think of the future, it gives me terrible anxiety. When I think of marriage or having kids, it makes me sad because I'm convinced I won't live long. It breaks my heart because I feel like I have something to live for now but my anxiety is stopping me.

It happens when I get any positive news, for example it last triggered when I bought a brand new car. I kept asking myself, how long will this last? And I'm waiting for some terrible news to come.

My medication isn't helping me anymore, and I have no idea why.
    I feel like counselling is my last resort but I need reassurance that this will work.

Re: Counselling for Fear of Dying

I have this to a lesser degree. When my child mentions growing up etc I feel uneasy discussing it in case someone (me, her or my partner, all are equally disturbing to me) isn't there to enjoy it. It's funny you should mention the age 27 as that is the age I am now and I often think of those celebs who are in the '27 club' and it just freaks me out.
    I don't think anyone can guarantee therapy or counselling will work as we are all different, but in all probabilities it will. Many people have overcome fears through therapy. Also time itself may help as it has done for me. I still worry about death but it's easier to keep my mind occupied these days.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    I have this to a lesser degree. When my child mentions growing up etc I feel uneasy discussing it in case someone (me, her or my partner, all are equally disturbing to me) isn't there to enjoy it. It's funny you should mention the age 27 as that is the age I am now and I often think of those celebs who are in the '27 club' and it just freaks me out.
    I don't think anyone can guarantee therapy or counselling will work as we are all different, but in all probabilities it will. Many people have overcome fears through therapy. Also time itself may help as it has done for me. I still worry about death but it's easier to keep my mind occupied these days.
    It's frightening! The thought of trying to move forward with my life scares me, as I know I'll be closer to the end.

Well one good thing is you care about living now. And boy I can't tell you how much healthier that is than not caring if you die or not. At 23 you are probably perfectly physically healthy. You just need to stop dwelling on something that isn't going to happen. Even if you were to get ill which is extremely highly unlikely do you realize how much medical science can do for people today. It's absolutely mind blowing what they do for people now. I read an article the other day that said it's not going to be uncommon for many of your generation to be living to 100 or more. So yes get your counseling but believe me you are going to live to a ripe old age.

N.

Smile Re: Counselling for Fear of Dying

I had the same thoughts at your age. It didn't happen. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder so I know how you feel. Someone told me once. We have no guarantees in life. Are you spiritual. Try to live in the moment . Just once second at a time. love and light.

This is so strange, I'm going through the same thing. Originally it started with health anxiety, took some antidepressants, felt better, came off them. Now my anxiety is back and guess what? I bought a new car at the weekend. Read my latest post you'll see what I mean! Let us know how your counselling goes. I stupidly turned down counselling a few months ago because the medication made me feel like I didn't need it anymore. I was on a waiting list for 10 months :( so I might go private.

I think when you are young its quite usual to have a fear of dying young,so many things you want to do all at once and the worry is what if i,what if i, and there is so much pressure on.

Counselling could be a very good option for you.

If its any consolation to you i am 56 now and do not worry about dying anymore.!

I also have this fear, I have just had my medication increased to help with the intrusive thoughts and constant anxiety and worry so fingers crossed it works

I don't think most 40 year olds are close to death. lol I mean closer than 20 but not exactly close to death.
    Last edited by dale12345; 15-08-16 at 05:04.

I can kind of relate. I am 25 and for the last 2-3 weeks it's all I can think about (however mine is more thinking about it all being over and I can't get my head around it). It's really started to bring me down to the point where I can't enjoy anything. I've just had my medication upped for anxiety/ depression but I'm dubious to if it'll work or not. I'm also seeing a therapist in a couple of days and I hope that can help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information