Thread: hi everyone

hi everyone

hi everyone ive got an app with my consultant in 2 weeks 2 discuss what surgery im goin 2 b havin to sort my periods out,possibly a hysterectomy,does anybody have any info about the op if theve been through it?

Re: hi everyone

Why would you be having a hysterectomy??? it is a very big operation with quite a long recovery time so not to gone into lightly. I am perimeno and was having terrible constant bleeding and flooding- literally 3 months of some bleeding every day then months with nothing and all the tests showed nothing nasty wrong just wonky hormones. I was offered a hysterectomy or hormonal coil but wasn't happy with either and had been told by a few doctors only to have op if all else fails. I sorted myself with natural progesterone cream but I can understand why you may want a hysterectomy as I got to the point of wanting anything to stop the bleeding!!

I know quite a few friends who have had op in past 5 yrs and eventually once they are recovered they are happy but two now have bladder problems caused by having womb removed so as I said don't rush into it - ask gyny for all options for whatever is wrong with you.

I'm not scaremongering honest but some surgeons are a bit scalpel happy without telling you the reality of recovery etc.

hi thanks for replying,after having my son 2 years ago i had a severe hemmorage which ment i spent quite a few hours in theatre while my womb was contracted i had to have 2 blood transfusions. since then my periods have been awful ive had my cervix cauterised tried the coil and been on the combined pill all have failed. i am now at the point where my current period has lasted 4 months i have low iron levels and have no energy i also have 2 young children to look after and a job! i am worried about the operation as my husband will b required to have quite a while off work i dont no what to do for the best i feel whatever i do is going to affect the family in a big way.

No info for you Steph, just hugs!

Long sufferer of health anxiety but *shush* it's a secret! Adverse to meds.

"Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant" (Mitchell Kapor)

Steph sounds like you are end of the road - I know I said in my previous post not to rush into having a hysterectomy but realise now you have tried other things. One last chance are you suitalbe for endometrial ablation therapy where they burn away the womb lining - I know a few people who have had this and it has worked for them hardly or no periods afterwards- or has this been discussed already??

hi this is what im goin to see the consultant about they are the 2 options available but the doctor sed when they burn the lining of the womb it is not a long term solution as periods return after 12 2 18 months. strange really since having my son me and my husband have always said our family is complete but the thought of us never been able to have another child is quite scary

Steph
    I had a hysterectomy on 7th June. Honestly nothing to worry about. I had severe endometriosis for 12 years and couldn't stand the pain and inconvenience of flooding any more.
    I was terrified but nowadays it's much better than it used to be.
    I had mine keyhole, and they removed everything, womb, lining of womb and my one remaining ovary.
    I was out of hospital after 2 days, tiny scars, and back to work after 8 weeks. You just have to be very careful in the beginning about lifting etc.
    If I can help in any way, with any advice, info etc, please message me. Happy to help.
    Steff.

Thread Information