Thread: Upset stomach and frequent gas?

Question Upset stomach and frequent gas?

Some people have said the stomach virus starts off like this then the next day they show the vomiting and watery stool symptoms which is scaring me because as most of you know, I have a severe phobia of vomiting..

Anyway, I've had this nearly all day now, but got worse as soon as I ate dinner around 5:00 time. I had some potatoes, a bit of cabbage, carrots and a few other stuff. I noticed it's gotten worse since then. I don't feel that nauseous.. Just the same as every other day really. My stomach just feels.... off. It doesn't hurt that much, in fact, the pain is rather mild and seems to affect my sides as well. Also, the gas I am frequently passing.... feels very hot and has a foul smell to them..

I think I remember this happening quite a lot of times before, but it never came to anything. But this was over a year ago when I wasn't worried about things like this. It seemed to effect me quite often back then. I'm going to point the finger on diet on this one since I did eat a bit more today than usual but I'm just not sure?

My Dad has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but I'm sure that only affects older people? Plus, this is the first time in a long time that I've experienced this.
    I'm a bit worried because sometimes my bowel movements just suddenly change.. One day I feel constipated, and the next I could have loose stools.

Can someone relate? Or know what this might be?

.....and a ninja.

Re: Upset stomach and frequent gas?

It sounds like ibs - the changing bowel habits are a classic sign. It's not only older people that get it, I was diagnose in my early 20s.

The hot, smelly gas - I get that sometimes - my stomach seems to grow and I get uncomfortable and gurgly, sometimes acidy. Then the heat and the smell! Cabbage is bad for this, and sprouts and a few other things. I find broccoli doesn't always agree with me too.

I do notice sometimes that these symptoms are worse for me at certain times of the month too...

x

im 21 and was diagnosed with ibs, and my cousin is the same age and had it a while back.
    so id like to think its not an old person thing! ha
    go to the gp just to make sure its all ok, its worth pushing urself even if u do have the fear of sickness.
    or monitor the foods u have when u get it, maybe dairy or wheat? and try cutting them out for a while.
    also monitor if it flares up worst when u are having a really anxious day or week, because thats a real trigger sign of IBS and why its on this site i guess!
    buscopan, or copamine are tablets u can get at a supermarket if u wanted to try them out too, but best to chat to a doctor first!

good luck

Thanks for the replies guys.

I also thought I may have IBS, but I shrugged off the thought since it doesn't effect me all the time. Just on some days of the month.

To be honest, I don't even know what triggers it off, but I do think it might be dairy stuff. I definitely get it more whenever I'm anxious, I know that for sure.

Sometimes I take peppermint tablets and most times they work, while in some cases they don't.

.....and a ninja.

Thread Information