Thread: Panic attacks from SSRI

Panic attacks from SSRI

Why is this happening? I went from 10MG to 15MG and it's been a week now and I am having massive anxiety and panic. My klonopin isn't really helping. I've been slowly titrating up for the past month. What do I do? I see my psychiatrist tomorrow. I've been trying several meds and nothing works. Is it time to give up? I'd really like to hear from those who suffer with this!

Re: Panic attacks from SSRI

A dose increase will almost always cause an increase in anxiety. Just like it took you a number of weeks (up to 6) for your body to initially adjust to a new medication, it takes just as long for it to adjust to a new dose. I've certainly suffered from an increased anxiety after upping my dose. You need to stick with it because once you've got used to it, the anxiety levels will drop.

If, after a month, your anxiety is still high, then the dose you're on is too high and you'll need to lower it. However, in the meantime, you need to stick with it, despite how unpleasant it is. Take care

My dosage was increased and the first 6 weeks were hell with one or two weeks of normality... wells one of those weeks was a weird manic high while the other one I just felt really sad but not anxious. Kim on week 9 now and while I feel less anxious, I'm still getting panic attacks, just not every day. Hang in there.

Unfortunately, I just saw this message :( and I already stopped the Viibryd. I'm actually feeling worse for two reasons 1. just plain old anxiety (lots of emotions going on this past weekend), and I have a upper respiratory infection. I'm also feeling some benzo shame from taking Klonopin for so long (over a year now, everyday). It's barely helping and I think I need to up the dose. Has this happened to either of you?

Thanks for listening!

I have A LOT of Benzo shame. I used to take it daily for 9 years!! Then, 2 years ago, I quit taking them on the daily basis and now I can go weeks without even taking half of one.
    Saying that, I've had a few weeks where I've pretty much been taking them 3-4 times a week and I'm feeling badly about that. :(

Quote Originally Posted by ana View Post
    I have A LOT of Benzo shame. I used to take it daily for 9 years!! Then, 2 years ago, I quit taking them on the daily basis and now I can go weeks without even taking half of one.
    Saying that, I've had a few weeks where I've pretty much been taking them 3-4 times a week and I'm feeling badly about that. :(
    There's nothing wrong with using a " tool " to feel better

Yes, but I don't want the tool to become a crutch, and the addiction to these things is nasty... Coming off Klonopin after having used it daily for 9 years was the hardest thing I'd ever done.

Thread Information