Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you make yourself realize that it is "just" anxiety?

How did you make yourself realize that it is "just" anxiety?

I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how they convinced themselves they are suffering from an anxiety or panic disorder and not something deeper? I am diagnosed with a panic disorder, I have had blood work and EKGs done, I am seeing a doctor and a psychologist, but there is still a nagging voice in the back of my head that there is something wrong and I am dying or going mad. I don't know how to make it shut up!

I am trying so hard to accept my anxious feelings and live life through them so they no longer bother me, but it is easier said than done. I had a good Monday and Tuesday with some victories I celebrated, but today I woke up feeling on the edge of a panic attack and it stayed with me all day. The feelings of unreality bother me more than anything, but I know they are the result of my overworked mind and nerves so I've got to get through this fear so they will go away. But I just can't seem to let go of the idea that it is something "more" than anxiety. I am stuck in the panic loop.

Any advice would be so helpful, thank you all.

Re: How did you make yourself realize that it is "just" anxiety?

It is tough when the symptoms are physical. You cannot just visualize a panic attack away. You can convince yourself that you have been checked out and are healthy, you have experienced this before and survived, this will help to keep from escalating where your at. The next step is to find something to distract you from the symptoms so that you are not focusing on the feeling. I go online and just start surfing or playing online games. Youtube is a great resource for distraction, you can find funny videos, informational videos (check out Art Bell sometime). Eventually you will find yourself coming down from the panic "high". Also, just making a hot cup of tea sometimes helps, even if I don't drink it, having it warm my hands helps.

I agree with distraction and tea. If you keep distracting yourself eventually you will move on from the thought. It isn't easy, but you can do it. We all have bad days. I had a horrendous day yesterday. Panic all day. A little better today. Remember, everyone has bad days , not just those of us with anxiety. You are not alone. This forum has been a tremendous help to me.

Several years for me, truth me told.

I think distraction is a useful tool, but I don't think it's the whole picture.

The other side of it is acceptance. That's what really helped me turn the corner. Not ignoring symptoms, not finding something else to do, just allowing them to be what they are and accepting that this was the way I was going to be feeling right now.

Just allow the anxiety to happen, let yourself have a panic attack. Personally, I find that that's the only way to make myself see that they're not dangerous and that nothing other than an attack is going to happen. Keep telling yourself that, if you had a serious physical ailment, you'd be suffering from it non-stop, and it'd not go away when you're relaxed and/or on medication.

Thank you all so much for your input. One thing I keep trying to remind myself is that if it were something serious, it would have killed me already and not continued just toying with me for so long. I am going to run to the store and to get dinner tonight, and I will try and go with the sensations even if they are hanging around.

That's a great attitude to have, Emma!
    Just let them happen. They won't harm you, so you're safe.

I got bored of it. After 6 mths of having no life and being terrified of everything, I just thought, 'sod this, I'm taking my life back.' And straight away started living again. If I wanted to go to a gym class/see friends/fly ect I just did it. It wasn't easy and I'm not sure its the right approach for everyone. But I'd just had enough of it ruling my life.

Most people know that emotional pain is the worst part of anxiety. But anxiety can also cause headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, muscle tension, insomnia, dizziness, and exhaustion.

I've suffered from panic attacks for over 14 years and I still haven't convinced myself that they are merely from anxiety. I would really like to believe they are, as would you, most likely. But here's the thing, it's a tricky thing, this panic we speak of because when you're in full mode panic attack, you dont think of things or anything logically, and convincing yourself of something so logical isn't natural at that moment when everything you feel says it isn't. I believe some people have actually healed themselves, they probably had finally had enough and used anger to fuel them. I've gotten close to this, but not close enough I guess. It's a struggle, one that I've used weapons such as medication on, which sometimes actually does help, and well, other times, has made it worse.

I've had a lot of time to think about the whys and what it's that an anxiety disorder forces on you. And the truth is, most of the time I really believe its anxiety, and well, the other moments, the doubtful moments I have, I believe they are caused by something obviously being very wrong with me. The biggest fear I have is wasting my life away being afraid of dying and not really living. Take care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information