Thread: An intrusive thought

An intrusive thought

I can remember once I was putting a jumper on and the collar went into my eye. Immediately I got an intrusive thought saying "what if I went blind" which made me feel anxious. I then had this "flash" of how I'd cope and what life would be like. I started questioning why I was getting this thought.

I wanted to take the jumper off and put it on again to counteract the thought but I felt if I did that, each time I put this jumper on, my mind would replay this intrusive thought so I'd then be afraid of wearing it again.

I decided just to ignore the thought and not react to it. I left the jumper on, the anxious feelings gradually subsided and the thought never bothered me again because I just forgot about it.

If we repeat actions due to intrusive thoughts, we leave an imprint in our mind so that the same intrusive thoughts will occur each time we perform a particular action. They'll keep coming back.

If we carry on, reminding ourselves that they are Just a frightening thought, the thoughts gradually become less frightening because we begin to realise they can't actually harm us and nothing bad will happen.

No one knows what our thoughts are except US. If you see someone putting a jumper on then taking it off again only to put it on once more, you'll think to yourself why are they doing that? If you then put yourself in that persons position and pretend looking at yourself, you'll see the thoughts are "invisible" to the world except you.

The more we repea actions, the more we try to control our thoughts and the more they'll keep coming back to scare us. They'll only stop frightening us when we stop attempting to control them and stop reacting to them.

Yes, I've suffered OCD in a Bad way where thoughts controlled my day to day actions but I realised that we have to allow ourselves to think them But not react to them. They then eventually lose their fear factor, our confidence builds, we take control of our anxiety and we start to enjoy life again.

Re: An intrusive thought

Hi Bill,

I never tire of reading your posts - so informative and positive

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!!

I totally agree with Granty, you have so much wisdom to offer Bill and I too thank you Bill your posts help me a great deal.

Love
    Carol x

'Quote: GrantyHi Bill,

I never tire of reading your posts - so informative and positive

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!!'

My thoughts exactly.

Whenever I log on, I always go to see what new thread you've posted.

Your posts always include just as many questions as answers. Which always activate my thought processes and motivate me to start writing.

Your posts are very addictive reading and I encourage you to please keep them coming.

I have written replies to 90% of your posts, sometimes I hit 'submit' but more often than not, I hit 'save to desktop'.

I just wanted to let you know that I do reply to your posts with my point of view, but most of my replies end up retiring to my 'personal folder' on my computer, mainly due to the length of my replies.
    Once you get me thinking about something I just cant seem to stop writing once I start.

So thanks Bill for your great thoughts on so many different issues, I just wish I was able to reply with a moderate 50 word response.

Love
    Sarajane

What can I say? ....Thank you everyone!

A counsellor once told me that I was very insightful and I think that's all it is really. I've just lived with anxiety for So long that it's my other half!

I'm just happy to share and very glad that something I say helps someone! It makes it all worthwhile if I can help someone along the way to leading a happier life!

I still have unresolved issues myself so I greatly appreciate "Your support" but I also plan to keep offering my knowledge for as long as it's of use.

Thank you Very Much for your Very kind words.

hiya bill i realy enjoy reading your posts very informative keep posting

Thank you ladygrom ,

The thread I've just posted called "Fear of Danger" is connected to this thread but "hopefully", (because it is "just my opinion"), it gives a deeper background as to why we get these intrusive thoughts.

Maybe you'll find it of interest though.

Hi Bill,

Thank you.

Best wishes,
    Chalky

When we are given a memory test where we have a number of objects to remember, one technique I've heard of is where you associate each object with a surrounding such as the garden or rooms around a house so that say if you have a comb to remember, you'd picture it in a bedroom then walk to the bathroom for a toothbrush and so on.

I think this is how the mind must work where it associates events with memories or imagery as an automatic method of remembering things. We have very active minds which need constant stimulation but we're also very intense and analytical thinkers. When we're doing something complicated, we concentrate hard on what we're doing to attempt to solve the puzzle we're confronted with.

However, I think it's because we're insecure that our minds focus on fears and negative thoughts so that the automatic random thoughts we have during "mundane chores" are always about worries because mundane chores are not enough to keep our minds focussed. It's because we're intense that these worrying thoughts then get stored and are brought back to the surface during the same chores because the mind has connected them as an automatic memory process. I'm only guessing though.

Thread Information