Thread: Ectopics/Panic Attacks? Fight them!!

Ectopics/Panic Attacks? Fight them!!

This is for all us ectopic and panic attack sufferers:
    I know exactly how you feel. However, having had these symptons for NINETEEN years I've come to the conclusion that it's not going to kill me. That's only been a recent conclusion though after I found this site. Now it's your turn. It is anxiety. Plain and simple. Armed with that knowledge, I would advise some lifestyle changes and here's why: I have suffered regular ectopic sessions for years but they have stopped in the last week. In the last three weeks I've had three missed beats...out of almost two million beats...that's pretty good. This has happened since I found this site. And listened to what I read(!)
    This is the advice I read and this is what worked for me:
    CAFFEINE- I've cut my caffeine intake down considerably, the taste of decaffeinated teabags is fine, not many would tell the difference. As for decaff coffee, I PREFER it!
    I have two or three cups of caffeinated tea or coffee in the morning, that's it. Previously, I would drink ten or fifteen cups per day! Now I have decaff, fizzy water, water, herbal tea and a hot chocolate at bedtime...yum yum!
    BANANAS- A banana a day helps the ectopics stay away!! Well, someone recommended it so why not? What harm can it do?
    ALCOHOL- Stopped drinking. I've drunk way too much during the last 11 years especially. Alcohol numbs the fear, helps the ectopics, numbs the depression...BUT, it causes the feelings to return with a vengeance! I've had many panic attacks on hangover days...not a coincidence. The alcohol withdrawal causes feelings of panic and the jitters. Makes me smart at some of the attacks I had on the day after drinking...bad, bad, bad!
    EXERCISE- Bearing in mind that your average ectopic sufferer thinks that they are about to die and that their heart is weak anyway(why else would you suffer ectopics?), exercise and the subsequent strain that would be put on the heart just doesn't enter the equation! However, I've suffered long enough. I'm sick of worrying. So I've been riding my recently bought bike everywhere! I've just been swimming for the first time in years!! My heart was pumping away like crazy...bang, bang, bang! IT FELT GREAT! Absolutely great! I can live again because I know that what I suffer from is ANXIETY.
    I'm three weeks in tomorrow on this new life. I urge anyone who suffers from these things to do it too! Face the fear, do it anyway!

Just think, I've not exercised for a long time. I'm 40. I've smoked for 19 years(coincidence?). I've drunk more than most. I've suffered from anxiety and stress, ectopics, depression, other bits of health anxiety here and there. It's ruined my life! BUT, if you actually start to BELIEVE that what you suffer from is anxiety then surely that's a relief! And it can be beaten! I firmly believe that following the advice on this website will help a significant amount of people get their lives back.
    However, if you suffer from anxiety and you are not willing to give up caffeine, alcohol or fags then your anxiety can't be that bad. Me, I've given up all three and I'm a different person. Good luck! x

Re: Ectopics/Panic Attacks? Fight them!!

Thanks for the post. I suppose its just sooo hard to believe and accept that its all down to anxiety (even though i know it is lol) The chest pains are what do it for me. I know tonnes of people suffer with ectopics, but i have bad ones with SEVERE squeezing heaviness chest pain that lasts ages and actually hurts to move around too much! My heart feels bruised/heavy pretty much all the time... The pain is so bad sometimes i feel like i cant get enough air into my lungs, thus a panic attack begins.. :(

I dont get it coz i can be absolutley FINE, then il get a crushing like chest pain that really blimmin disables me!!!!! Then THATS when i get the anxiety symptoms!! (dizzy, funny vision, sickness feeling, weak limbs, tight chest...etc etc etc!!) I have accepted all those symptoms are anxiety, that took me ages, as i honestly thought weakness in my limbs meant stroke or brain tumour! (ive had ct scan to prove theres nothing sinister going on in brain) So now its just accepting theres nothing wrong with my heart!! Ive got another ECG booked in for 12th April but i KNOW its guna be useless as i KNOW i will NOT get the ectopic when im getting it done!! (like yesterday when doc listened with stethascope!) So it will look like im exaggeratin or whatever, and they wont see anything on the monitor to enable them to investigate!! I hope i do get one though!! And if its nothing, then that will finally put my mind at rest.

Thing is, i get all the symptoms of Mitral Valve Prolapse, and started having chest pains after doing drugs on New Years Eve, the hosp know this but still wont give me a heart scan to check for MVP.. but MVP wouldnt show up on an ECG would it?! So why arent they checking for this?? Its driving me insane....it took me long enough to geta ct scan after they sat there saying its all down to funding for the NHS and i thought 'yeah, money is more important to them than peoples lives and wellbeing!' Sorry im just hacked off right now LOL.

I feel ok at the mo, but its almost like im waiting for my next ectopic or chest pain now, i think about it all the time, it scares me so much though :( But why the constant chest pains at least 4 or 5 times a day?? They are all right on my heart, under left breast, and also middle of chest on sternum... I just keep worrying myself that ive done serious damage coz of the drugs (cocaine), plus my anxiety now is just making it all worse... but the hosp are convinced ive got nothing wrong with my heart because my ecg's have all been perfect... seems like the only way il get answers is if i have an ectopic AS im having an ECG...i think thats why people go on 24 heart monitors dont they? They almost choked/laughed when i asked them about that... Im sorry for rambling, ive just had enough of the pain!! and the worrying!!

Oh and just to add... I quit alcohol and cigarettes as soon as i had my first panic attack on 3rd January 2010. I have 2 cups of tea a day and thats it. I just dont know what to do anymore...... I just cannot accept ECG's as proof............

thanks for the reply! i would keep pestering the doctors for what you need to put your mind at rest. plenty on here who get the pain and tightness. get the 24hr monitor. see someone who understands. when all this still points towards anxiety, take it by the balls and stand up to it! i'm not sure that a bit of recreational coke snorting will ruin your heart, you don't really believe it either...i've abused my body aswell. however, i've embraced the fact that it's anxiety and as if by magic, along with lifestyle change, my symptons have cleared up. good luck and keep pestering the doctors for closure.

Hi Flumpy

Absolutely love the post, i havent suffered as long as you but am pushing myself to already believe the conclusion you have come to, i too have cut down on caffeine i very much need to exercise and you are right i do worry about strain on the heart but it is anxiety so i have decided to get off my bum and get on my wii fit to begin with.
    Also smoking i read that nicotine can trigger ectopics but it is one thing i am yet to beat.
    I can only do it one day at a time so here goes .....

Hi Flumpy. great post by the way. I am going to start exercising more starting today, so Id better get off of here.

I have not had caffeine for many years - stopped smoking 13th Dec (no patches as they make my heart worse)...now I need to exercise. have had the banana but still get them. I do think it is stress, but as of yet have had ecg, 24 hour monitor (waiting results) and am seeing the cardio in April. I want echo, but am not sure he will agree. I think it's important to get it for reassurance because always when they are at their worst, one has no evidence for reassuring oneself that death is not immanent

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

PS: any chance you could copy and post your post in the ectopics section. I love going there and seeing good news

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Seems the trend. While Im only experimenting with the association, I've cut right down on caffein and am upping my exercise levels. Can only be a good thing I guess.

Smile Re: Ectopics/Panic Attacks? Fight them!!

Hi Everyone

I have just found this site and I have spent ages reading all the messages. I cant believe that other people are having the same issues as myself as I was feeling very alone. I have been having panic attacks now for about 10 years and I wish I had found this site years ago. Over the past 10years I have had every symptom going, been to the drs a million times and A&E nearly the same amount of times thinking I was dying. I have had a few ECG's and blood tests and all come back as normal. I am always told it is just stress and need to relax (easier said than done). I have recently been to counsilling which did help a little. I have come to a point where I have had enough of the panicing and want to change my lifesyle. I have the 'missing heart beats' when I exercise mainly now so this is my biggest obsticle to overcome. I am constantly being told to do more exercise and this will make you feel better but I get very scared about doing exercise which makes me very anxious before Ive even started any, therefore, I get missing heart beats and then brings on a panic attack (Vicious circle). On one of my good days I decided to join a womens gym with a healthy life programme and now I starting to feel anxious about it. After reading the messages I am feeling better and will try to ignore any missing heart beats and work through it.

I will let you know how it goes.

Hi i have been reading the threads i have panic attacks. They have been there my whole life i realise now. But really only come to serious problem level after birth of my third child. I overcame them and Agraphobia and for five years had a good life. Recently the attacks returned with vengeance. I am now very shaky. I try to get through each day. It is good to hear of your successes and i will cut out my caffeine and try and be positive. I have two young kids who need me healthy and happy.

thanks for the post, I hope it doesnt take me 19 years to realise this is normal and wont hurt me!

Thread Information