Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Citalopram side effects?

Re: Citalopram side effects?

I must admit that reading all the posts, past and present about this drug it makes me wonder why the docs pescribe it in the first place. I mean there are, or used to be drugs around for anxiety that worked well without the awful 'run-up' period, and they certainly didnt give people such severe reactions when first taking them. Ok i know no drug is ideal, but since they all have some withdrawal problems when coming off them, surely some of the others would be better? im thinking of diazepam, lorazepam (ativan) etc...all older drugs but they didnt make people so ill in this way.

Any thoughts on this decca? how long has citolopram been around? it seems to be the only drug the docs pescribe nowadays...but i could be wrong (have been known to be )

Cathy xxx

Hi Cath.
    Prozac came out circa 1970 but was prescribed mainly for Depression and was replaced by Citalopram circa 1989 strangly about the same time as Professor Heather Ashton published her first paper on Benzo addiction and tollerance,(the full paper came out circa 2001).
    Professor Ashton's hypothesis made doctors wary of prescribing Benzo's and SSRI's, especially Citalopram, became a popular replacement not only for depression but for all manor ailments as they were supposedly "well tolerated".

Ever since the Ashton manual came out there seems to be a lot of shouting about the use of Benzo's but very little seems to have been mentioned about the 2004 report linking SSRI's to juvenile suicide except for a "black box warning " on the packet insert.
    Benzo's especially Diazepam have been shown to be the best quick acting anxiolitic drug but does come with the possible risk of addiction for some individuals in long term use and must be handled with care.

I think SSRI's are invaluable in the treatment of severe depression but for anxiety and panic disorders I prefer a well managed quick fix such as Diazepam.

Best wishes
    Decca.
    Last edited by decca; 03-07-08 at 20:26.

Thanks for the info decca...fantastic knowledge of this, where were you when we needed you at the MIND org in the 80's? and dont say too spaced out to be of any use!

Take care you too xxx

Sorry to sabotage your posts Suzy but what this man knows about these drugs is amazing.

Best wishes
    Cath xxxx

1980's I think that was my 19th nervous breakdown, lol.
    Oh no that '66 wasn't it ( Stones)
    I wish I was there Cath.

Decca

I was given citalopram for depression and was presribed 40mg. Ive never taken any medications before but was assured this dose would be fine. I took 1 tablet in the morning at 7.30am and by 9am I was not well!! I felt progressively stranger until I began shaking, I passed out with mild convulsions and breathing irregularities, came to after about 10 minutes, felt very spaced out still then another wave came over me and my head felt like it was going to explode. I passed out again and came to projectile vomiting. I felt incredibly "mashed" all morning but luckily my partner had been there to look after me. Incredibly the doctor didnt seem to bothered, even suggested it was a co-incidence and did i want to try again the next day!!!! He has now prescribed me fluoxetine 20mg but i am too scared to try them at the moment as I really thought I was gonna die. Has anyone else been given 40mg as a starting dose????

flojo,
    Wow that was a bad reaction, were you taking any other meds, even over the conter ones that might have interacted with the Citalopram,St Johns wort for example ?.
    I don't know what your history is but 10mg is the normal starting dose for a week then increased after that, people that have bad side effects can usually "jump off" in the first week but into the 2nd week should seek medical advice before discontinuing.
    Has your Doc. suggested therapy at all ?
    ( This was advice given to me by my Doctor at my last clinic)

Best wishes
    Decca.
    Last edited by decca; 08-07-08 at 09:31. Reason: Footnote added as requested.

40mg as a starting dose .... NO way could i have tolerated that.

I was in a state after taking 10 mg!!! ..... sick, sitting listless staring at the walls, spaced out, slurring my words and feeling generally drunk but not happy drunk .... i was also told to try another one the next day!!! .... NO thank you!!
    My Psych actually said that because this happened it's a marker that a drug can actually be beneficial for you!!!

Hi

I am on 10mg Citalopram and it's my 12th day on it.. yes i felt crap for a few days but its passed now.. I am getting spasms but its setteling now.

All mediacation takes a while to settle.. having side affects fo a week or more is nothing compared to living with severe anxiety for years!! I have had severe anxiety and agoarphobia since the age of 13, and never been on medication properly before, you hea good and bad storys about all medication its diffrent for everyone.. but if we dont try it we wont know if its going to work, and if you do get bad side effects from some medication just try and relax and chill as they normally pass in a week or so!! If we keep reading all the side effects on the packets and googling them all time it's just going to add anxiety and even more symptoms!! plus I really think if there is any posts about people wanting help about side effect etc.. I think if you can relate well just say that!! but I dont think listing all how you felt really helps the person who needs advice in the first place as its just going to make them feel alot wose.. like I said
    is diffrent for everyone so if one person gets some side effects doesent mean you will be the same!!!

The more positive you are about anything in life helps you through the bad

Kate xx

please note!! remember that anyone who posts are trying to get people to try and reduce there anxiety about taking the medication.. so help as much as possible please xx
    Last edited by pink daisy; 05-07-08 at 12:52. Reason: crap spelling

Hi

I have been on Citalopram for nearly 4 weeks I'm having good and bad days but feel I still have side effects from the Citalopram especially tummy upset. Has anyone else taken this long for it to settle I'm on 10mgs.

Thanks for any help.

Kate, I think its just giving an honest opinion of the drug, and its natural to give both sides. I had a bad reaction to propranolol and had to change meds, but many other ppl have been fine on it. But if a member asks for ppl to give their experience of it you're gonna get both sides. Citalopram has been ok for you...well done, but what if it hadnt been? I understand what you mean about not making ppl nervous about taking meds, but you cant give just the nice bits. If ppl dont want to know both sides they shouldnt ask.

Best wishes
    Cathy xxx

Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information