Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: teenage son

teenage son

Hi all

I have a teenage son who is suffering badly from panic attacks. He has ashtma and is convinced it is his ashtma that is bad. He is not going to school and gets panicky every morning to the point that he either believes he is having an ashtma attack or actually does have one. He cant breath and just cries. Has anyone else experienced this at such a young age? its so hard to watch my son suffer. I would welcome any advice

Re: teenage son

hiya hun, poor u and your poor son its horrid when they get anxiety so young. well does the panic just stem from his asthma? or does something else trigger it? just wondering have u checked with school for bullying etc? i think if u are really worried i would ask the doctor to check him over just to put your mind at rest and he/she may be able to help with this. hugs xx

Hi JAQ and

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

I had to take some time off high school for stress related reasons but it wasn't until I was at uni that my panic attacks started. I don't know if the two are related but anxiety and panic attacks can and do affect people of all ages.

Take care,

Mike

Hi JAQ

to the site.

Panic and anxiety does not give a hoot about age, it makes me very sad to hear anyone suffering, my heart goes out to you and your son.

There can be many, many reasons for your son suffering this hun, is your sons attacks based around school? or is it anytime, even when he has no school?.

I know its dame hard for you right now, but you have to try and pick away at whats going on, see if the panic is linking into anything at all, eg, school, fear of his illness ( ashtma ) he maynot understand his ashtma and fearing it, bringing on panic.

Hun, take him along to your gp and talk about this, let the gp check him over and tell him?her whats been going on.

This site is a great place to be, there are lots of nice people here who will help and support you

I do know what your going through hun, my daughter suffered pa's, she is doing well now, your son CAN get over this hun, with alot of hard work, time and support.

Not only does your son need support right now, which he is getting, FROM YOU, but you need it too hun, keep posting, we are all here to support you hun.

YOU TAKE CARE

Big HUGS to you and your son

LOVE JILLXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

My teenage son had such episodes in high school (teenage years). He would draw complete blanks during tests and could only write his name.

The school referred him to a psychologist. The few visits paid off and we got over that hump. Today is self-confidence is stronger and he is able to study and get results at business school (university).

welcome hun

its so difficult to see ur child suffer isnt it.

i have pas and can only liken them to an asthma attack, which my hb gets. it must be awful to not be able to distinguish the difference for a child.

the only solution is to chat to ur gp to see if theres any way ur son could learn that anx causes similar feelings, and that it can be controlled

hope u find help in nmp

love milly xx

Hi Jaq,

Welcome to the site. My son who is now 16 had awful asthma until 2 yrs ago. Allergy shots for 5 years helped him. I recall when he was a toddler the doctors wanted me to put him in his room when he had temper tantrums for punishment when he misbehaved with his nebulizer so he could breathe because his asthma was so bad! Of course I didn't do it. I tell you this because I know what it is like for your child to have asthma and get so upset. It is horrible. The terrible twos and threes with asthma was not fun! He never had anxiety though, thank goodness.

I myself have a touch of asthma but have tons of anxiety. I must say the asthma meds make my anxiety much worse. The same thing could be happening to your son. I suggest counseling for him even at such a young age. Why, because I have had anxiety since childhood and I wish I had gotten help so that perhaps I would not still be dealing with it as an adult. Good luck and I hope we can help. We also support caregivers here too.

Laura xxx
    Last edited by Southern_Belle; 07-07-08 at 15:01.

Hi Jaq

A warm aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi and welcome

My 12 yr old daughter is suffering from anxiety at the moment so I know how difficult it can be to watch it happen to your child. Just keep reassuring him that he is ok and that the panic will pass. My daughter throws up every morning before school but I know that by her staying off it wont help her in the long run. Do try to send him in, believe me I know how difficult this can be but once my daughter gets to school things calm down for her.

lilly-lou

Hello Jaq And Welcome I Suffer With Asthma And When I Have Anxiety I Tend To Have A Hard Time Breathing Maybe Ya Son Thinks Its Gonna Keep Happening Which Is Causin Him Anxiety Im Not A Doc But It Can Be Scary...i Wish You Both Well.......linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information