Thread: Going back to work

Going back to work

Hi all I decided to start this thread as I am off sick at the moment with depression/anxiety since 4th of December 2012 and still don't feel ready to go back to work. I am taking my AD for 26 days now however I still suffer panics attacks / anxiety every morning and afternoon. It really makes me so guilty that I can't go back there yet as I know they need me there. The biggest problem is that as much as I really like my job it was the trigger for my anxiety/ depression. I just would like to hear how you manage to go back to work and for how long you have been off? For me 5 weeks it is such a long time to be off work and I am not sure if this is normal.

Re: Going back to work

I've been off since the first week in November and intend to go back (with my brain aided by 2 additional drugs, Pregabalin and Propranolol, with my usual Mirtazapine) on Thursday 10th - to make it a short week to start.

So that will be just over 2 months off. Difference is, I don't like my current role, and they're trying to find me another within the Dept. - also that job stress led to my being off long-term for the first time in 5 years.

You need to get better first, you'll know when you're ready. Don't feel guilty. Look after yourself.

All I can say is don't rush back, if you don't feel ready, don't go and when you do go back, do it on a phased return. I have been off since June but initially it was due to an accident and metatarsal fractures but this triggered my anxiety. i would say my foot is healed enough to go back to work now but anxiety wise i am not well enough.

Thanks Mark. I am glad you are better and hope they will find you something what you will enjoy more. I have very stressful job too with lots of responsibility + long working hours which I will have to change when i go back as I can't continuing living like this.

I agree, if you are not ready, don't go back! I have been off work since July, going back to work caused me a huge relapse. Take your time, your health is more important, you will know when you are ready.

Kitti

Thanks Annie. I am worry I can loose my job if I don't be back soon.

They can't just sack you, there are processes to go through and they have to show they are supporting you.

I have been off for 4 months now, my employers are very understanding, but I am still having to seriously try and get back to work. Some days I feel ready then another day I feel I won't be able to manage.
    Like Annie said they cannot sack you so please do not worry, you need to get better and feel confident when you do return. Take care.

Hi princess , so sorry your going through this apprehension x

I had to quit a PGCE course 2 years ago this February. I was THAT bad, I am such a fighter, but when I was struck down gosh I was absolutely shocking! I have two small kids and we'd just moved house so, could have done with my bursery , which stopped. Shocking shocking and I've only just got back into the realm of work, which is for a charity helping teenagers who can't cope with mainstream school on a full time basis.

Takecare of yourself, think about you or if you rush back you might relapse

Thread Information