Thread: Sleep paralysis

Sleep paralysis

Hi Everyone
    I just wondered if anyone else suffers from this strange thing, I can sometimes get it up to 3 /4 times a week, sometimes more than once in the same night.

Usually starts with a dream thats scary, and I then become awake alway's screeming for someone to shake me .
    Im consious but cannot move. sometimes i feel like i cannot breath

Also I have quite a few nightmares , im not sure if its a side effect from the medication, or whether when im anxious it comes out in my dreams.

Does anyone else get this ?

V

hi vix i had this not so long back and it was the most dreadful experiance ive ever had.i woke early one morning and i couldent move ur speak it seemed to go on for a long time i was petrified anyway when it passed and i found my voice i shouted as load as i could to my poor husband who was laying beside me i was crying and was sure id sufferd a stroke my husband took me to hospital where they done some tests on me and it came back as this sleep apralipses sorry if i spelt this wrong lol. anyway your not alone on this and luckely its only happened the once with me its soooo scairy isnt it :(

t motown

My hubby suffers from this. I found an interesting site about it on the web. It's basicaly too much of the chemical that stops us from acting out our dreams. When you wake up it takes longer for it to pass out of your system than normal and so you are temporaraly paralised.
    Try this site for more info
    http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html

Hi V

I've had this several times. It started about this time last year and scared the life out of me but it really is extremely harmless, once you realise what it is.

Try and not panic. A good way to break out of it, is to concentrate very hard and try and wiggle a finger or your toes. Eventually you'll be able to to and all the feeling will come back. I sometimes get it down one side of my body and it's usually after I wake with a bad dream. I often feel very confused and am sure I'm awake, even when I'm not. Sometimes I'll even see strange things in the room. Once I saw a little boy floating over me but it's all part of sleep paralysis and night terrors.

Hope this helps

Jules

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the reply's

I have gotten used to it and dont get worried about going to sleep , but it is anoying when it happens,as sometimes I can go straight back into it again.

Ive even thought that I have been crawling up and down the bed before.

I have not tried moving my fingers or toes, the normal reaction is to shout out, even though I know that I am making no sound.

So I may give that a try and see if i can move quicker.

Thread Information