Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tooth Abscess

Tooth Abscess

I went to the dentist yesterday with severe toothache, i have an abscess and have been given antibiotics , i am allergic to penicillin so have been given others. I am much better nowadays at taking medication but I am feeling very sick ( i have had two so far) could this be a side effect, i absolutely cannot read the leaflet that comes with the tablets or I will scare myself into stopping taking them. I'm struggling to eat because of the abscess and wonder if this is causing the nausea. Thank you for reading.

Re: Tooth Abscess

It's likely to be due to the infection you're battling- abcess is a pocket of pus - therefore and infection in the tooth, gum or jaw. Just keep an eye on it over the next few days, some antibiotics can cause a little nausea too so if it gets worse just have a chat with your dentist again. its nothing serious, it's just they kill good and bad bacteria and therefore can cause a bit of tummy upset. Xx

Thank you for your reply Dizzy Daisy, I'm more reassured now, i just hope the pain wears off soon!

Is it metronidazole?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo61 View Post
    Is it metronidazole?
    Yes 200mg

Thought so. Yes, it can make you feel a bit nauseated unfortunately. It should wear off after a couple of days though. Just make sure you stay well away from ANY alcohol as it will make you feel very unwell indeed.

Well done for going to the dentist, abscess are not fun, I have had antibiotics to treat my abscess which I had last year and one back in 2006 where I needed root canal doing,

Thanks Mojo 61, yes the pharmacist mentioned the alcohol as well. Like you say, I'm hoping the nausea wears off eventually, I'm know I need to keep taking them.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by unsure_about_this View Post
    Well done for going to the dentist, abscess are not fun, I have had antibiotics to treat my abscess which I had last year and one back in 2006 where I needed root canal doing,
    Thanks unsure about this, yes the pain got that bad, my usual fear of the dentist faded away. Abscesses are horrible, i think the dentist wants to take the tooth out once the infection has gone, I'm very scared about that !

Try taking a probiotic daily until the antibiotic course is finished, and then for another week afterwards. This will restore the normal gut micro flora that the antibiotics have affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo61 View Post
    Try taking a probiotic daily until the antibiotic course is finished, and then for another week afterwards. This will restore the normal gut micro flora that the antibiotics have affected.
    Something like yakult? Sorry I get confused with all these different products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information