Thread: Tooth/gum abscess

Unhappy Tooth/gum abscess

This morning I woke up with a tiny bump next to my wisdom tooth, and I thought I maybe injured my gums by eating something crunchy.
    With my finger, I moved my cheek away from the tooth (I have really narrow mouth) to see what it is, and I must've popped the abscess (not intentionally, I swear!), because I noticed white pus.
    I immediately rinsed my mouth with the salt water solution (I did it twice today), and now when I move my cheek away from the tooth, there is no blood or visible wound or anything...
    Just a tiny bit of white pus from time to time, not always.
    Now, that tooth is broken, and I don't have insurrance nor money to get it fixed, so a dentist is not an option, sadly.

I did the worst possible thing - I googled.
    And now I cannot get the fear out of my mind.

It wasn't larger than 2-3 millimeters in diameter.
    And now it's even smaller, like a white dot.

There is no pain, no swelling, no redness.

How bad is this?
    Was it abscess at all?
    Can it kill me?
    I am so scared
    Last edited by vrees; 06-07-18 at 20:55. Reason: Forgot to add details.

Re: Tooth/gum abscess

Please, anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by vrees View Post
    Now, that tooth is broken, and I don't have insurrance nor money to get it fixed, so a dentist is not an option, sadly.
    The dentist is the only option and necessary IMO. Most will work out a payment plan but this is one case where I would definitely see a professional.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'm experienced in terms of dentistry. That was probably a fistula, which forms in a gum near an infected tooth. It cannot kill you, but you still need a root canal/extraction. Otherwise, the infection is going to get worse and that might be trouble. I had a dental fear for many many years, and now I'm 22 years old with two missing molars because of it. If the fistula is actually connected to the wisdom tooth, your dentist is probably going to offer removing said tooth, because they are the most troublesome teeth. If the fistula is connected to any other tooth, then you'll probably be treated with a root canal treatment, which doesn't hurt AT ALL, if the tooth is already dead(and it is, basing on what you described). Sorry for breaking it down to you like this, but I'm sure that fear of a root canal is better than a fear of dying!

I will be looking into dentists that allow paying in multiple installments, but those are rare here, sadly.

I took a look this morning and it was as nothing happened - no swelling, no redness, no pain at all.
    There is like a white dot on the gums, but it's not raised, it looks similar to a canker sore, except no pain.

I've had 3 root canals in the last 2 years- not had any pain whatsoever. Just like having a filling but takes longer

Thread Information