Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the point in doing anything in life?

What's the point in doing anything in life?

Why do anything at all, why aspire to anything, if it can all be taken away in such a short space of time by a devastating illness like pancreatic cancer or glioblastoma (brain cancer)?

Sudden death has been a fear of mine in the past, but much scarier are illnesses like these that are practically death sentences and only give you months to live. They can strike at any time too; I'm only 27 but I've heard of cases of pancreatic cancer and brain tumors in my age group. Symptoms only show at advanced stages too.

What is the point in striving towards something, in investing anything emotionally into a person or vocation in life, if you can be then diagnosed with an illness that is guaranteed to take those things away from you? At least with sudden death you don't know you are going to lose everything.

Re: What's the point in doing anything in life?

"Focus on the now, it's all you ever have"

Irony bomb

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    "Focus on the now, it's all you ever have"

Irony bomb
    Funnily enough, overwhelmingly depressive & negative thoughts tend to get in the way of platitudes like that. Is this a forum for advice or to be needlesly mocked by keyboard warriors with nothing better to do?

What do you expect people to tell you?

We're all going to die someday. There is no answer to your question, it's a question based in philosophy more than anything else.

IF I were to offer advice, it would be 'try to live in the now'.

But you already know that

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    What do you expect people to tell you?

We're all going to die someday. There is no answer to your question, it's a question based in philosophy more than anything else.

IF I were to offer advice, it would be 'try to live in the now'.

But you already know that
    Underlying many cases of health anxiety is an existential issue about the meaning (or lack of it) in life.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

This existential question also has an inverse argument: Why do nothing when we have so little time to be happy - for if happiness lies in relationships and our achievements - to leave with no legacy but having done nothing?

I suppose it is always easier not to strive and be swept along by our "fate"...

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan23 View Post
    Is this a forum for advice or to be needlesly mocked by keyboard warriors with nothing better to do?
    Wow!... being needlessly mocked keyboard warriors eh? Nice.... Never knew that a positive thought was mocking someone

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

The answer is simple and I'll provide two scenarios.

Scenario 1:
    You invest yourself in a passion. You start working towards achieving something great in life, you get a career, a nice house and a loving family. You live your life, go on adventures, work out, learn instruments.

IF you die suddenly/get a terminal disease, then yeah, it sucks and it's all taken away from you.

IF you don't die suddenly or get a terminal disease, all those things you've done with your life were worth it.

Scenario 2:
    You have the attitude as you have now. You don't invest yourself in anything, you live an unexciting life, you don't follow your dreams etc etc

Now, if you die suddenly or get a terminal disease then you don't lose much.

But if you don't die suddenly or get a terminal disease(which is the most probable case), then you have wasted your life instead of living it to the fullest.

Which scenario do you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Wow!... being needlessly mocked keyboard warriors eh? Nice.... Never knew that a positive thought was mocking someone

FMP
    Except the comment you've quoted doesn't relate to a positive thought. It relates to the first reply to this thread, which sarcastically quoted the phrase I've written in my signature and said "irony bomb". What's positive about being ridiculed?

Noone is given a promise how much time they have on this earth and even if they were where would you draw the line upon which you were satisfied? 50 years, 60, 70? We all hope to live long lives and pass peacefully in our sleep but few people get that reality. All we know for sure is that (as Mostu so brilliantly phrased) regardless of how much time we are given, wasting a second it gives no benefit. Would you rather give up on your life because you will die some day (inevitable and happens to everyone) or live it to the fullest and have the same outcome? I know it is easier said than done for HA sufferers and believe me I am terribly guilty of this, but those are the moments we have to acknowledge we need help and ask for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information