Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Lump in Throat

T.M.P.D.S

In short!!!!!!

Again, totally harmless and subsides when anxiety and or stress is reduced...go figure hey!

“Temporomandibular Pain Disorder Syndrome” (TMPDS) for what has commonly been called “Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome.”

TMPDS is defined by a triad of primary symptoms:

Pain and tenderness of the muscles of mastication.
    Joint sounds with jaw opening.
    Limited mandibular movement.
    Secondary characteristics include referred pain to other areas of the head causing headaches, and retro-orbital, bitemporal, and occipital pain.

Straight out of a medical paper

Identifying TMPDS is usually achieved based on the client’s history and clinical findings. In general, extensive radiographic evaluation is not necessary. Yawning, chewing or moving the mandible will often result in stabbing or severe pain, precipitating cramping or locking of the jaw. Long-term pain may also include cyclical periods of remission. Be aware also that chronic TMPDS clients will often present psychological characteristics that include anxiety, stress, depression, anger and frustration.

Harmless Harmless Harmless

Pain in Jaw,cheek bones and around eyes
    Another little question

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi all, new member here.

Does anyone know if a feeling of tightness over the arch that goes over our throats - soft palate - is anything to do with anxiety?

With thanks
    charlie

Definitely Charlie!

I wake up every morning and the first thing I think about is just that. I am left with a tight feeling where my tonsils are and roof of my mouth and a despirate feeling around my gag reflex area. It's something I'm trying to accept and learn to live with until I have it beat!

Mark

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Does anyone know if a feeling of tightness over the arch that goes over our throats - soft palate - is anything to do with anxiety?
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Yes I get this too. Is it the tounge muscles or something? It almost seems to eminate from the lumps on either side (underneath) the tounge.

That's what I've been trying to work out. I THINK it is my tongue doing it. I was having problems speaking without wanting to heave and I'm almost certain that my tongue was so tensed, it was raised against the back of my throat making speaking uncomfortable. I feel like 2 fingers are pinching above either side of my adams apple quite a lot of the time. Especially when having to face someone and speak or speak on the phone.

Mark

When I've practised emulating this for 5 minutes I also get a strain that comes up from where an adams apple might be if I had one..

Well done Mark for working it out

How are the visitors ?

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Meg and thanks,

The trouble with something that you create yourself, concentrating on it makes it feel 100 times worse doesn't it! And my every waking thought is still about my throat. I'm a bit braver with regards to facing life and accepting the sensations that I'm creating, it's more a fear that it IS me creating these sensations and if I'm ever going to learn to forget them over time. It's taken me seven months to work out what I'm doing and some days just for short periods of time it starts to get the better of me! I guess Rome wasn't built in a day though was it.....

As for uncle, I've managed to rise to the spirit and have a good laugh and a joke with him. We're getting along really well and I don't feel as if my 'safe space' is invaded anymore... great!

Mark

**something that you create yourself, concentrating on it makes it feel 100 times worse doesn't it! **

Yes it does , especially as when you create it you also create a worsest case scenario possible -so what is the worse thing that could happen to you from this and is that a factual based meaning ?

Think you will have to learn that they don't mean anything sinister or dangerous before you will forget them .

It is all going the right way these last few weeks -Mark. You are coping better and doing more - you are making headway.

Glad uncle is proving fun

Meg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information