Thread: Ultrasound scan has worsened my anxiety

Ultrasound scan has worsened my anxiety

So, I have been for the Upper Abdomen US Scan this morning. I couldn't breathe thinking about it, terrified of the operator finding something and saying something to me that would set me off.........

But I got a total ice maiden! The entire procedure took around 4 minutes max, she asked me address and DOB, and then what I went to the GP with......I told her that I had pains in my left side of abdomen which radiated into the back, and across the back and sometimes affecting the right side. Killing me pain!

She just kept telling me to take deep breaths, moved the probe here and there, then put it down and said. "thats me done...." gave me a piece of tissue to wipe my tummy with, said she would write it up and it would be with my GP in around a week and left.

As a Health professional I found her whole demeanour and attitude very cold and it really worsened my anxiety. Whenever I have been before they always say they aren't able to discuss anything but just little encouragements. Her attitude has made me totally panic that she has seen something dreadful - liver cirrhosis or cancer, and that is why she couldn't look at me.

I can't stop worrying. I have made an appointment with GP for next Frida to get my blood results and scan results, but I am going to really struggle to get through the next 8 days. My heart is in my mouth

Thank you

Re: Ultrasound scan has worsened my anxiety

I have been there!!! I had two scans in the last 5 months....one for abdominal pain and then a follow up for some light kidney swelling they found on the first one. You know they arent supposed to say anything hun. They could get in HUGE trouble.
    On the first one...I was convinced the tech was tearing up looking at my right ovary. I thought "She knows im gonna die..that's it. She sees cancer." not more than two hours later, I got a call saying that everything (with the exception of light kidney swelling) was completely perfect.
    On the second one with a different tech I thought she was being cold and rude and wouldnt tell me what she saw because it was bad and she felt uncomfortable. Turned out everything was fine on that one too...

I dont think its right that she made you feel uncomfortable :( but remember your anxiety is painting an unrealistic picture in your head. Im awaiting mole biopsy results so I KNOW how awful the waiting game is. I just try to do things that make me feel good in the mean time. Surround myself with those I love. Keep occupied. I know it's hard but you'll get through it.

Thread Information