Thread: Time to try prozac

Time to try prozac

So after a failed suicide attempt last night I was given the choice between venlafaxine and prozac. I chose prozac. So I am in it with you guys, I hope it works well and if anyone has any encouragement that would be great...

Re: Time to try prozac

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas75 View Post
    So after a failed suicide attempt last night

I was given the choice between venlafaxine and prozac. I chose prozac.
    How are you being switched from clomipramine, Greg? And is this being done as a hospital inpatient? I trust they haven't just released you?!

If you can access grief counseling do so asap. It can be a great help.

Hey,
    I hope Prozac works for you as if it does it's an amazing anti depressant. My advice would be to push through the side effects into at least week 6 as the side effects may make you want to give up the medication but trust me it should be worth it. Sending you love

Thank you both. I am going to see a counsellor.

HI PDU, the doctor that saw me the following day said anafranil was bad for the heart. They could not keep me in against my will. They wanted to keep me in. I have not taken any meds since then except 15mgs of Mirtazipine last night to try sleep a bit as have not really slept since then. Tomorrow afternoon I see the doctor who put me on the anafranil to begin with. One doctor is private and the other is the national health system. I honestly dont know what to do or who to believe anymore. But hopefully after tomorrow I will be back on something, especially for sleep as the insomnia seems to just make the depression worse. And I am depressed that I cant sleep without the aid of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas75 View Post
    HI PDU, the doctor that saw me the following day said anafranil was bad for the heart.
    It can be in overdose which is now a consideration. It usually isn't an issue at therapeutic doses unless there is a specific cardiovascular problem, or other meds are being taken which can also cause prolonged QTc syndrome.

They wanted to keep me in.
    I think this would have been a good idea.

I have not taken any meds since then except 15mgs of Mirtazipine last night to try sleep a bit as have not really slept since then.
    If you went cold-turkey from 150mg clomipramine I'm surprised this is your only problem.

But hopefully after tomorrow I will be back on something, especially for sleep as the insomnia seems to just make the depression worse. And I am depressed that I cant sleep without the aid of something.
    Lack of sleep can do that, but I suspect withdrawal may also be a factor.

Hang in there Greg, I dont know your history, but please realise that these meds take time to work.

In my case Prozac took 3 months to get started, but it has and continues to do so.

Counseling helped me as did clinical hypnotherapy.

Good Luck my friend.

hey Greg,

Prozac is awesome! You made a good choice. The first couple weeks are going to be rough, were you given a benzo or anything to help with the first few weeks? as prozac can increase suicidal thoughts during this time, and that's completely normal

Hi Greg
    I don't know your history but I am very sorry to hear that things got so desperate for you. I'm back on fluoxetine for the third time. I joine NMP when I was given it for the second time and found being able to talk to people in the same situation very helpful.
    Unfortunately fluoxetine takes quite some time to feel a change (at least 6 weeks for me last time) so try to hang in.
    J

Thread Information