Thread: Switching from Citalopram to escitalopram, overnight switch?

Switching from Citalopram to escitalopram, overnight switch?

Hi guys

I have previously switched from sertraline to Citalopram and did an overnight switch with little side effects.

I was wondering am I able to do that with Citalopram to escitalopram? Or would I need a washout period? Ideally I would like an immediate switch

It would be from 20mg Citalopram to 10mg escitalopram

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Switching from Citalopram to escitalopram, overnight switch?

Quote Originally Posted by perry12 View Post
    I was wondering am I able to do that with Citalopram to escitalopram? Or would I need a washout period? Ideally I would like an immediate switch

It would be from 20mg Citalopram to 10mg escitalopram
    These are essentially the same med sharing the same active chemical. The main difference is citalopram also contains a mostly inactive isomer of it. That difference can produce subtle differences in side-effects so switching can sometimes help with those, but if one isn't working then the other probably won't either.

Why do you want to switch? If citalopram isn't working then increasing the dose would be a better option, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    These are essentially the same med sharing the same active chemical. The main difference is citalopram also contains a mostly inactive isomer of it. That difference can produce subtle differences in side-effects so switching can sometimes help with those, but if one isn't working then the other probably won't either.

Why do you want to switch? If citalopram isn't working then increasing the dose would be a better option, imho.

Thanks for the response

I have been up to max dose Citalopram but seem to do better at 20mg. I am still just not happy with where I am at. My GP and therapist have recommended to try escitalopram next as it is better for anxiety than Citalopram, also they didn't see any harm as with it being similar I wouldn't be hit with massive side effects.

I have just had conflicting advice when it comes to the changeover and wondered if anyone had any experience or knowledge as to whether a straight overnight swap would be ok

Quote Originally Posted by perry12 View Post
    I have just had conflicting advice when it comes to the changeover and wondered if anyone had any experience or knowledge as to whether a straight overnight swap would be ok
    There shouldn't be any adverse effects from switching overnight. But I doubt there will be any positive ones either.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    There shouldn't be any adverse effects from switching overnight. But I doubt there will be any positive ones either.

Ok great, thank you

I know it is quite a popular switch and people have benefited from one rather than the other, hopefully I will too.

Thread Information