Thread: Ingrown toenail surgery.

Ingrown toenail surgery.

Do you think surgery for ingrown toenails is mandatory? I've had mine for about 3 years now, I went up to my doctor who tested me for fungus and advised me to just soak it in salt water while the infection comes out, after about a year mt nail came off and he said it would be fine however its grown back and dying again I know people have said if I push for it I can get surgery but I'm a scaredy cat and don't have an issue with the way it looks so I was wondering if I could get away with not doing it and leaving it as it is? My GP doesn't look like he wants to anyway x

All the best

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Re: Ingrown toenail surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Clydesdale Epona View Post
    Do you think surgery for ingrown toenails is mandatory? I've had mine for about 3 years now, I went up to my doctor who tested me for fungus and advised me to just soak it in salt water while the infection comes out, after about a year mt nail came off and he said it would be fine however its grown back and dying again I know people have said if I push for it I can get surgery but I'm a scaredy cat and don't have an issue with the way it looks so I was wondering if I could get away with not doing it and leaving it as it is? My GP doesn't look like he wants to anyway x

All the best
    Hi it all depends on how bad it is I had one and it grew right in to my to my big toe and underneath the skin on the bottom, so every time I put my foot on the floor the pain was unbelievable
    it got infected and I had to have it removed under a local it was done in under
    5 mins and the relief was welcome . So it's entirely up to you, but it could get infected if you don't You can buy from scholl the foot care company a DIY in growing toe nail kit to prevent future nail problems come complete with a nail guard to stop a new nail growing the wrong way. HTH Cheers
    Last edited by Bigboyuk; 23-05-17 at 20:58.

I remember a girl in high school and she suffered terribly with ingrown nails. She had both big toes surgically corrected and she said it was such a great relief. Discuss which option is best with your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by snowghost57 View Post
    I remember a girl in high school and she suffered terribly with ingrown nails. She had both big toes surgically corrected and she said it was such a great relief. Discuss which option is best with your doctor.
    I was told by the consultant who did my op just keep a eye on it and keep it trimmed before it starts curling under the skin. definitely
    when my nail was removed the relief was great Cheers
    Last edited by Bigboyuk; 23-05-17 at 20:59.

It should be ok as long as it isn't painful or becomes infected. My son had to have both his big toenails removed when he was 14. Never flinched once, never felt any pain at all.

Lisa
    x

Thanks everyone
    Its been the same ever since and I don't think its infected, I couldn't get removed even if I wanted to as my doctor doesn't seem to care :shrugs: I think I'm past pain and infection, just waiting for it to come off so another one can die x

All the best

If you current dr wont help you find another one Cheers

I might do if it gets painful or something, the thought of it makes me queasy, i just imagine despite the painkillers that being awake i'd still feel the pain x

Quote Originally Posted by Clydesdale Epona View Post
    I might do if it gets painful or something, the thought of it makes me queasy, i just imagine despite the painkillers that being awake i'd still feel the pain x
    Ok lets put it this way when I had my stent fitted in one of my atries I was wide awake, granted the area that was being worked on was very cold but 100% pain free it took 20 mins too! Ingrowing toe nail a absolute breeze HTH Cheers

I can try and make an appointment maybe some time next year if i'm feeling risky enough, the thought of it being awake just makes me squeamish because i imagine i would feel the pain a little and have to see what's going on and just no
    i'll try with another doctor when i feel risky but i've tried two so far and they haven't bothered especially as i'd have to have a complete removal and a chemical to stop it growing again (they deemed it "pointless") didn't seem to care about the risk of infection (granted low risk but still a risk) :shrugs: i'm running out of good local GPS i can tell you that haha! x

Thread Information