Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back on fluoxetine

Back on fluoxetine

Hello,
    After feeling fairly well and off meds for a couple of years I've just gone back on fluoxetine because my anxiety has come back full force.
    I know that a frustrating side effect of these pills is increased anxiety to start with but can anyone tell me how long this lasts?
    I can't remember from my previous experiences with this medication and I'm really struggling with it all at the moment.
    Thank you

Re: Back on fluoxetine

Quote Originally Posted by jelly2010 View Post
    I know that a frustrating side effect of these pills is increased anxiety to start with but can anyone tell me how long this lasts?
    It may last several weeks, and past experience may not be a useful guide as, for reasons that aren't clear, the initial side-effects can vary each time, both in nature and intensity.

If the anxiety becomes too bad ask your GP to prescribe a small dose of diazepam (Valium) to help get you through this, or of mirtazapine (Remeron) if s/he doesn't prescribe benzodiazepines.

Also, there is growing evidence antidepressants become progressively less effective every time they are stopped and restarted, often requiring higher doses to achieve the previous level of control. Two studies, Amsterdam JD, 2016 and Amsterdam, 2009 found the likelihood of antidepressants working after each restart drops by between 19-25% (see also: Amsterdam JD, 2009; Leykin Y, 2007). This applies whether returning to a previously taken antidepressant or a different one. Given this is your third time on antidepressants you may want to consider staying on fluoxetine permanently.
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 03-06-17 at 22:49.

Thanks. I forgot how bad the increased anxiety is. Week 2 now and I don't know if I can see it through but I want to feel well again

I forgot how bad the increased anxiety is. Week 2 now and I don't know if I can see it through
    You don't have to white-knuckle you way through this. Indeed, it is counterproductive, so ask your GP for either some diazepam, or mirtazapine.

Hello, I went back on fluoxetine last year, was only 20mg but im now up to 40mg. The side effect of the medication did come back and it took me a month or so to control them but just stick it out as im doing so much better. My dr said it could just be blip but hopefully I can reduce my intake soon.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    You don't have to white-knuckle you way through this. Indeed, it is counterproductive, so ask your GP for either some diazepam, or mirtazapine.
    Thanks. I have some diazepam but it's not really helping

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Justy View Post
    Hello, I went back on fluoxetine last year, was only 20mg but im now up to 40mg. The side effect of the medication did come back and it took me a month or so to control them but just stick it out as im doing so much better. My dr said it could just be blip but hopefully I can reduce my intake soon.
    Thank you for sharing Justy. I really hate this increased anxiety. I'm feeling much worse than before I was taking them and I can't stand it

Thanks. I have some diazepam but it's not really helping
    What is the dose and how often do you take it?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    What is the dose and how often do you take it?
    2mg and I'm only taking one a day when it gets really bad as I have a toddler and it makes me a little drowsy

2mg and I'm only taking one a day when it gets really bad as I have a toddler and it makes me a little drowsy
    2mg diazepam is a small dose so the poor response isn't surprising. Unfortunately, alternatives such as mirtazapine are at least as sedating. But tolerance to the diazepam drowsiness tends to build fairly rapidly.

Thank you. You seem to know a lot about medication. Do you know which painkillers are appropriate with fluoxetine? I am getting bad headaches and would usually take ibuprofen but read that this can inhibit the fluox?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information