Thread: Stomach always feels empty and I feel weak

Stomach always feels empty and I feel weak

The title says it all really........these last few days my stomach feels constantly empty like I haven't eaten even though I have. This then makes me feel shaky like low blood sugar so I eat which stops it for a bit then it starts again.

It doesn't feel churned as such just empty and it makes me feel weak and faint. I always worry it's a low blood sugar problem but wonder if it's anxiety instead. Does anyone else get this?

Re: Stomach always feels empty and I feel weak

Hi Devon_guy,

I'm sorry that you are feeling like this, but please be comforted by the fact that you are not alone.

In the past, I have experienced this feeling of my stomach being completely empty, and if I can recall properly, it was quite painful!!

Mine would last for a few days, but it would eventually go.

What I would advise you to do is to have a chat with your doctor for reassurance, and you can always take things from there.

I hope you feel better soon, Devon_guy.

Lots of love and hugs,

Wolfie xx

Have you tried eating little and often to keep the blood sugar stable and keep your stomach coated? I know that when I'm very anxious I can go long periods of time without eating which then makes my stomach sore and I get that feeling like I'm hungry all the time, sugar level drops, I then end up reaching for the Gaviscon. This has helped me rather than 3 meals a day.

Hi Devon_Guy,

I get exactly the same problem and have done for some years. It really used to worry me and i assumed it was an anxiety symptom even though like you my stomach didn't churn (a normal symptom when i am anxious). It has taken me a long time to accept that at certain times for a few days or so at a time i need a lot of fuel to keep me going, some days i can eat a big breakfast but within an hour i am starving and feel weak and lightheaded as if i haven't eaten for hours. I used to really obssess about eating food to ease it as i was convinced that it would stop the anxiety i associated being hungry with being anxious, as a result i put on loads of weight. Now i don't worry about it at all and if i feel extra hungry for a few days i try and eat every hour or so to stop the low blood sugar feeling and try and stick to snacks that are filling but healthy like bananas and malt loaf. I think it is a very common occurance in everyone not just anxious people and i think hormones play a big part - in male and females, the only way i think we differ from someone who doesn't feel anxious is that we use a lot of nervous energy and the body uses whatever we put into it a lot quicker. Good luck and i really hope it doesnt become one of your "new anxiety symptoms" as i am sure it is just a natural occurance.

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Thanks for the advice. It was better today and I wasn't anywhere near as anxious as when I wrote the original message so I guess that points to anxiety.....

Thread Information