Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what helps you?

what helps you?

I am suffering from a serious down spiral of depression! It's something I am battling to shake, it's effected me so badly I just went home today from work, does anybody have any techniques which help you??

Just looking for inspiration before I lose the plot.

Re: what helps you?

to think that there are people worse off than me...

I could be suffering from a serious life threatening illness such as Cancer

I could be paralysed

I could be grieving over the death of a loved one

or worse, someone in my family could be suffering depression/anxiety and I couldn't help them

I could have no empathy for others

I could be callous towards others

you get my drift

Life is a journey, not a destination

Janie

If it's very bad go and see the doctor. I don't know how bad the depression is cos you haven't gone into too much detail. You came home from work so you must have felt rough of course.

Try not to dwell on it and do go back to work tomorrow, don't be put off by how you feel first thing in the morning - sometimes if there is a bad morning feeling (which there normally is) see if you can get through that and you may lift with distractions at work etc.

Have a good cry if that's what you need to do - get it off your chest - release the horrible feeling inside.

Try not to start anyalysing how you feel and try to avoid adding more low thoughts to already depressed state of mind.

Get plenty of rest by going to bed early in the evening - lack of sleep makes depression so much worse. Keep warm and treat yourself as you would a little child - take care of yourself and be kind to yourself.

I have re-read my reply and think it seems contrite...

honestly, I don't know how I get through some days, but I do know there are others a lot worse off than me, as well as those that are a lot better off than me, so I just have developed a way of thinking that if I can get through each day moment by moment that's the best I can do to help myself and my thinking

Life is a journey, not a destination

hi sulmare, this is a tough one because obviously the illness of depression means you lose all sense of perspective - you feel youve always been like this and always will? but you wont! i dont want this to soound like im boasting, but because i wont take meds since having a really bad reaction to prozac 9 years ago, ive had to deal with the depression alone, and it has been hellish at times BUT i did it!!!! and you can too, with or without meds.

first i would go to a site called uncommonknowledge which really helped me, but also exercise is known to help, as is relaxation/meditation and setting yourself small goals and pleasurable hobbies, things like knitting or embroidery?. ofcourse though all of these measures seem meaningless at the time and when you start your recovery programme it just seems pointless and i could not see how any of this would help - i really thought my life was over, (the anxiety that has accompanied my last 2 depressions has been chronically disabling) and i would never be free! but i reminded myself id been here before so that was my first chink of light - the fact that i had come through other depressions.

to tina i want to say i agree with what you said 100% and i dont think it was contrite at all? you were just being honest and the things you talk about have also helped me, because obviously depression means you see everything in the worst possible light and also the world really does revolve around you - so taking a step back menatally and remembering that we are not alone in our suffering can help, but we also must'nt beat ourselves up for being depressed by saying ' well its all in my mind, and other ppls suffering is genuine' you can turn your thoughts around by being more positive and grateful say for what we have, but depression is an illness and it is more prevalent in the developed world where society has changed over the last 50 years.

anyway i want to say have hope and faith that this is definately not all there is, you will recover and your life will be happy once again, take care emma

Countering my thoughts in a TEA form nearly everyday is what gave me my life back and keeps me coping.

My boyfriend suffers with bi-polar disorder and has done for years. He has pretty good control of it now but every couple of months it takes him down and it could be anything from 3 weeks to 2 months before he gets out of it again. He stays away from any stressful situations if he can. He exercises and looks after his diet and surrounds himself with positivity e.g. the people he loves or places he loves. He has had a lot of practice so he seems to have found something that works for him. He tried the medication but it never let him know exactly where he was in terms of really feeling better. I really admire people who get through depression. I suffer occasionally because I get so tired of my panic but I really feel for those whose primary problem it is. All I can think of for you at this point is maybe medication and counselling

hi janie,

having suffered depression myself, i totally sympathise with you, i can honestly say its the worst feeling in the world.

just remember hun you will get better, it wont last forever.....keep that thought at the front of your mind.
    lots of rest and relaxation, say to negative thinking and feelings of guilt, i deal with you later and try thinking of something/somewhere nice.
    have something to look forward to, just a small goal
    eat small regular meals and drink lots of water.
    yogurts and milkshake are easy to swallow, if you feel you cant eat
    avoid booze...its causes us depressed people to feel worse.

think positve thoughts, its hard at first, but it will help

good luck and i hope you feel better soon
    thinking of you

dawny

Quote Originally Posted by dawny View Post
    hi janie,
    just remember hun you will get better, it wont last forever.....keep that thought at the front of your mind.
    dawny
    Excellent advice!

something really simple that helps me is having creative outlets for whatever i'm feeling - writing, drawing/painting, playing instruments..it keeps me busy but its not an attempt to block out thoughts or feelings, its just really soothing. i always feel this little sense of achievement after I write or sketch something or play a song start to finish
    elle xxxxxxxxxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information