Thread: Mirena coil

Mirena coil

Would love to know your experiences having this?

I had mine fitted in March & each month my periods are soooo heavy & last like 8-9 days. Before i was light & bled for only 3 days!

Does it settle? or am i in for this in the long run?

Nic xx

Re: Mirena coil

When i had mine fitted i bled for a while afterward s ,only noticeable when i went to the loo,tho .It stopped after a couple of months and I never had another period .I had very heavy periods for years and they lasted for 7-10 days before it was fitted .I only wsh they had given me it before .Ive heard it can cause heavy periods for some ,Perhaps it will settle eventually ,but it does seem a long time for you to be like this . Fingers crossed for you x Sue x

Hi there I have had three mirena coils fitted in the past. The first one was effective for about five years before the old symptoms of heavy bleeding and severe pain returned. The second one lasted for about three years before it was removed by my GP. The last one that I had did not prevent me having extreme pain and nausea although very little bleeding. I was bed bound for two or three days a month. I had previously discussed having a hysterectomy as I have always had bad issues with pain and sickness. I had my hysterectomy in 2007. The gynaecologist found adenomyosis, numerous fibroids and my bowel was sticking to my uterus. I'm now pain free so for me it was the best decision as my choices for stronger pain relief were limited partly because I am allergic to most of them including morphine and codeine and can't take some of the others because of being on lithium. I hope that the mirena works for you Nicola. It might give you some relief. It does take a few months to settle down. Just check that the threads are still visible as it might have dislodged itself causing the heavy bleeding.
    Last edited by ElizabethJane; 05-08-09 at 17:29.

My Mum had a mirena coil fitted just ver 5 years ago and hasn't had a period since. It's also helping her through the menopause at the moment as she hardly gets any symptoms and must be menopausal now

Thread Information