Thread: Anxiety about ferry and car holiday

Anxiety about ferry and car holiday

Hi all , so I used to fly , never liked it but I did it after having my two children the anxiety became to much so my husband kindly offered to take a overnight ferry and drive to Spain which we did last year and all was fine! But we are due to go again on Wednesday and the anxiety is building , I can't sleep , I am convinced my ferry will sink or our car will crash ! If anyone mentions anything to do with either things I convince myself it's a sign ! I worry that our ferry will be taken over by terreriosts !! I can't tell my husband as he won't understand and I feel bad making him do this journey as I refuse to fly so to tell him I'm now scared off this ! I just can't stop myself from panicking !! Please can someone help and advise !

Re: Anxiety about ferry and car holiday

When in doubt, go with air travel. It is the safest form of travel, even though many people are unrealistically scared of it.

That said, ferries are pretty safe, too. More likely your anxiety stems from the fear of travel itself...not being in control, going to a new place where you'll have less influence on your surroundings, etc.

Is there anyway you can ask the doctor for Xanax or another benzo to help you on the ferry ride? I always take a Xanax when I travel. I always get anxious when I travel, even though I know my anxiety is completely irrational. I also bring things along with me to keep my mind occupied that relax me like a coloring book and embroidery (unless I'm on the plane; they won't let you take the needles anymore).

I also have used some of the exercises in the book, The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Bourne.

Thread Information