Thread: Newbie to Citalopram

Newbie to Citalopram

Hi,

I recently started having Anxiety attacks/days. I know how it was triggered, I had a panic attack on a driving test, it was really scary and awful. Since then I haven't been able to drive since, I just freak out. But now this keeps happening in other situations, either at work or going to see a friend, it can last for 2 days and I have thrown up with fear. SO I went to the DR and they have put me on Citalopram....and so I took one last night and thought.....I know lets google the symptoms :/ and now I am panicking that I am getting them all! its so silly...but reading what others have experienced makes me not want to take this, is anyone else having bad side effects? do you think I should give up if it gets bad? Ironic they are giving me worry!!

I have also been referred to Talking spaces, has anyone else tried these?

any comments welcome

thank you.

Re: Newbie to Citalopram

So sorry to hear about your panic/anxiety attacks. They're not funny and can be quite scary, but they have never killed anyone yet. You should tell yourself that it's OK to feel the way you do, and it will pass - may take a bit of time, but it will pass.

Everybody who takes Citalopram reacts in different ways. Some seem to experience the A to Z of side effects, others none at all. Your mistake has been in Googling symptoms. Dr. Google's medical qualifications are suspect to say the least, and he is not your friend. Take the leaflet from the box of Citalopram. Don't read it - stick it in a drawer where you can find it if necessary. Should you then feel what you think may be symptoms of side-effects, then take the leaflet from the drawer and check. If the symptom is on the list of side-effects, then that's what it is. If not, visit your GP and get it checked out.

If you're suffering from side-effects, then try to stick it out. It may take a couple of weeks for side effects to start to dwindle away. Could even be longer. On my first session of Citalopram it took around 6 weeks for the side effects to subside, and just over 12 weeks to feel as though the medication was starting to work. You just need to be patient.

Regrettably most SSRIs tend to make you feel worse before you start to feel better. It's just one of those things.

I did 6 weeks with Talking Spaces, with one telephone conversation per week with a therapist. They teach you to regard your thoughts as just thoughts - not 'set in stone' facts. They also teach you to re-frame your thoughts so that you do not catastrophise every negative thought. It can help. My criticism was that it was not face to face, and a lot of information can be derived by the therapist from body language and facial expressions.

I wish you luck on your journey. I would advise that you stick out the medication unless it becomes absolutely intolerable. If that should happen, then re-visit your GP and discuss this. It may be that Citalopram is not for you, and there are other SSRIs that could be tried. But do try and stick it out as much as possible - it does help, and you will, eventually, feel much better.

Quote Originally Posted by sollythegolly View Post
    So sorry to hear about your panic/anxiety attacks. They're not funny and can be quite scary, but they have never killed anyone yet. You should tell yourself that it's OK to feel the way you do, and it will pass - may take a bit of time, but it will pass.

Everybody who takes Citalopram reacts in different ways. Some seem to experience the A to Z of side effects, others none at all. Your mistake has been in Googling symptoms. Dr. Google's medical qualifications are suspect to say the least, and he is not your friend. Take the leaflet from the box of Citalopram. Don't read it - stick it in a drawer where you can find it if necessary. Should you then feel what you think may be symptoms of side-effects, then take the leaflet from the drawer and check. If the symptom is on the list of side-effects, then that's what it is. If not, visit your GP and get it checked out.

If you're suffering from side-effects, then try to stick it out. It may take a couple of weeks for side effects to start to dwindle away. Could even be longer. On my first session of Citalopram it took around 6 weeks for the side effects to subside, and just over 12 weeks to feel as though the medication was starting to work. You just need to be patient.

Regrettably most SSRIs tend to make you feel worse before you start to feel better. It's just one of those things.

I did 6 weeks with Talking Spaces, with one telephone conversation per week with a therapist. They teach you to regard your thoughts as just thoughts - not 'set in stone' facts. They also teach you to re-frame your thoughts so that you do not catastrophise every negative thought. It can help. My criticism was that it was not face to face, and a lot of information can be derived by the therapist from body language and facial expressions.

I wish you luck on your journey. I would advise that you stick out the medication unless it becomes absolutely intolerable. If that should happen, then re-visit your GP and discuss this. It may be that Citalopram is not for you, and there are other SSRIs that could be tried. But do try and stick it out as much as possible - it does help, and you will, eventually, feel much better.

Thank you very much. Really helpful and you're right....never google stuff!! My Dr said talking spaces meet at my surgery for sessions. So Mayberry they have started doing face o
    Pot face, but I will still give them a call.
    Thanks for taking the time in replying to me

I can't really add much to Solly, and agree completely. It's a bumpy ride. I have been here once before 12 years ago, and obviously not happy to be back - but like you, I know what caused it. And just like it came on - it WILL go away.

Side effects are part of the whole process. And generally improve after 2 weeks, but don't be shocked if they take 6 weeks as Solly said. The intensity should at least reduce during this time though. Try not to think of it as "all or nothing" - try your best to see the intermediate areas. I am really bad for this. Whenever I have a "blip", I am convinced I am back to square one. Today is not a good day, but I am trying to stay positive in thinking that things are improving.

I am currently on week 10 - I have seen improvements for sure, but I am still not stable. As people here have reminded me, it is still early days. Remember that improvements will usually be best seen in weeks rather than days. Thinking in days will often serve to blinker your progress. I am sure, like others, you will soon see days (not 1 day) of benefits at a time.

Try your best to be patient - we are all in it together and you are never alone!

Stick with citalopram it's worth it if it agrees with you best thing I ever done I'm a long term user

Thread Information