Thread: Aura lasting longer

Aura lasting longer

Hi.
    I have suffered on and off with migraine aura for some years now and then visual aura generally lasts around 40 minutes. However, today I had my first one in 15 months and the eye aura hung around for well over an hour and still wasn't normal for two hours!! Has this ever happened to anyone else? It's always been a huge fear of mine and I'm freaking out about the next one killing me!! Please anyone...

Thanks
    Kelley

Re: Aura lasting longer

I've never had a migraine but I have had visual auras. My friend said I'm probably getting silent migraines. I've had it happen to me twice now in the past 3 years. The first time lasted quite a while, I ended up forcing myself to go to sleep to make it stop. The 2nd time it lasted about 20-30 minutes before it passed.

This happened to me with my my most recent migraine too. It was on Labor Day. I had the usual 30-40 minute scintillating scotoma, then the headache started, then th aura started again! This freaked me out - because like you say, it's been a fear of mine that the aura would kind of get "stuck" - so I went and laid down and it gradually resolved, only to reappear again! This went on over the course of about four hours. First time it's happened to me. I'm 49 and have been getting migraines since I was about 10.

Thankyou Leslie. It means a lot to talk to other sufferers and hear their stories.
    Melfish that's exactly what happened to me!!!! You have no idea how much better I feel knowing I'm not alone and hopefully my episode gives you some comfort also. I saw my dr today and she didn't care, she gets them too and said it's nothing dangerous. She gave me a script for imigran but I read what it does and I definitely won't be taking it! I want something to dilate the blood vessels which would stop the aura but these pills constrict them which really to me sounds like it would encourage an aura??
    Anyone tried imigran for aura??

Thanks again girls

Kelley xxx

I've never tried any migraine prophylactics. I get them so rarely now. One every few years. But this one's stubbornness threw me for a loop. I did consider going to the ER, but then thought, what would they even be able to do? And the bright lights and the noise turned me off and I just hunkered down in bed and waited it out. There is such a thing as "migraine aura status", where the aura lingers for hours or even days. No thanks, lol.

Oh serious? Well I'm in hope along with you that it's not going to be the pattern now!!! I did exactly the same, I was up and down checking and looking at the time and considered the ER and then wondered what on earth they could do for me!! That's when I really freaked, just the thought of knowing there is no help!!! I laid down again and did the same as you and waited it out telling myself over and over it'll pass it'll pass. How awful huh?

Thanks again xxx

Thread Information