Thread: Uncontrollable vaginal/pelvic clenching?

Uncontrollable vaginal/pelvic clenching?

Hi everyone!

So about a month ago, I started getting these rectal spasms..just felt like I was clenching up and unable to stop it. This kind of died down but then I started getting these awful clenches in my vagina and pelvic area. They aren't really painful, but it's like doing kegels over and over I guess. Really uncomfortable and I am unable to stop it. I do take Klonopin as needed for anxiety and I find that the Klonopin might relax me a little bit..but it mainly just makes me not think about it as much while it's happening.

I went to the gynecologist today and it was a really awful time. She basically did a 10-second physical exam, told me I didn't have a prolapse, seemed annoyed at my silent response (told me I should be thankful it was a normal exam), and then told me to have a nice day and left the room. That's it! After she left, I broke down and cried, because I really had such hope that she'd be able to help me or offer some other advice. I logged in later to my patient portal and saw that she had written that my problems were from "severe anxiety" and that I was worried about prolapse. I never even mentioned prolapse to begin with!!!

I don't know where to go from here as I feel such despair and angst over this. I'm so tense all the time from this and I'm afraid it'll never stop.

Does anyone ever experience anything like this? Just an uncontrollable clenching of the vaginal area, or something deeper in the pelvis even? Is this a normal thing? An anxiety response?

Feeling despondent over the results of the visit. Of course I'm glad that it's a normal exam, even though she basically just checked for a prolapse and didn't address my tension issues. But I was hoping that she'd tell me where to go from here.

Any input?

Re: Uncontrollable vaginal/pelvic clenching?

im getting this in both areas ant make out which one the same as you,i have sciatica rally bad too so don't know if that's what made them start its horrible feeling

When I first started having panic attacks my vagina would clench suddenly like a spasm as one of the symptoms before the heart palps, trouble breathing etc. I still something get this from time to time.

Hi ladies! I know this is a couple months old but I wanted to let you know that pelvic issues (in which resides the vagina and rectum) are common with people with anxiety. It's pretty much the same anxious symptom of clenching your jaw.

In fact, if you talk to PTs who deal with pelvic issues, they will tell there is a neuromuscular connection between the jaw and the pelvis. It's pretty fascinating stuff. I deal with bladder/pelvis/jaw/upper neck issues, all related to my anxiety. I'm in the process of finding a psychotherapist who does somatic therapy to deal with the issues. Still in the process of finding one.

Hi mj . I have the pelvic and bladder clenching too. Is it ok to pm you please. Best wishes, ruth

Sure! I'm still trying to figure things out on my end but I have done about 5 years of research (had a big flare/crisis in late 2012), so feel free to pick my brain!

Sorry mj I've had so much pain I can't even use the forum properly. I can't remember how to access your response to my pm. I know you mentioned magnesium, yes I have been supplementing for 18 months. I also have been trying to do the diaphramatic breathing but I don't think I described it very well but it's the same as you advise. I am hardly ever successful with it tho, but on a couple of occasions I feel I have achieved the intended outcome for a few seconds . I will keep trying to be more consistent. I'm annoyed with myself that I can't refer to your message more, I feel so rude but no doubt I'll be able to get back to it eventually. I had never heard of pelvic floor problems until a few weeks ago, never heard anyone else speak of it. I've tried to research on the inte4net to see if my symptoms match, but you're probably aware that not all website info is consiconsistent. I wish I could sit in with a group of sufferers and pitch in with ideas about symptoms and how to alleviate them. I do feel alone . My physiotherapist and g.p. have never mentioned the pelvic floor although g.p. said I don't have prolapse. To me the pain feels too strong and sort of widespread to be musculoskeletal e.g. upper groin, low back, vagina, legs, urinary. Ho hum. Sorry I'm rambling, too little sleep and too much anxiety by far. Oh yes, I do use hot water bottles, sometimes during the day and always in bed. Thanks again for your initial reply. I hope you are feeling well and if you have any additional info I would be so pleased to receive it. Thanks a lot, speak soon , ruth

Hi Ruth!

Just sent you a PM!

Megan

Thread Information