Thread: Fear of ghosts/demons

Fear of ghosts/demons

If there's any of my fears that narrowly beat out spiders its a fear ghosts and anything along those lines. I'm not sure how common this is but its a serious dictator, I have to fall asleep with Netflix and a huge as heck light on and its still not enough sometimes, I have no idea where it started from but its taking up a lot of my time and fun and I have no idea what to do to solve it x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Re: Fear of ghosts/demons

There is a book I've used in therapy to help with my claustrophobia called The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Bourne. I've found it pretty useful to do some of the exercises in it when I get bad.

You never had your fear of ghosts as a kid?

Its always been a part of me, I've definitely had it since I was a kid. i used to sleep on the sofa when I was 5 while my parents were watching tv and I've only just now at 17 started sleeping in a room alone for the first time, I can sleep at a fairly okay-ish time but I still need the light on and my tv loud and even then it can be rather hard x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Well, it's probably anxiety as a result of your transition. Many people have trouble adjusting to new living arrangements. Some people like you are just now at 17 getting your own room; other people, like me, had trouble sharing a room with other people when I went to college. You're still young, and no doubt the fear of ghosts is an easy way for your mind to express your anxiety.

Fear of the unknown tends to be one of the foundations of anxiety and you can't get much more unknown than the supernatural!

I can remember having things like this when I was a kid. I would also have thoughts about open cupboards meaning someone could be watching.

I sometimes get like this when sleeping in the house alone, so I fall asleep with the TV and light on....sometimes I can sleep without them but not always. have you tried sleeping with just the TV on one night? to see if you can gradually sleep without them? maybe set your tv to turn off at like 3am so it turns off when you're a sleep? so its off when you wake up? or would that make it worse?
    or you can try having a lamp on next to you so not a big light but just a smaller one and then maybe turn that off eventually? you may have tried all off this but thought id offer it.

Thread Information